Feb. 22, 2014
The Minnesota men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak and was finally on the right side of a 4-3 decision as it topped No. 45 Drake at Baseline Tennis Center. Minnesota had lost its last three matches by the score of 4-3 and was 0-4 in matches decided by the same score this year.
The Gophers, who are ranked No. 49, earned a 1-0 lead in the match as they took two of the three doubles matches, as Minnesota prevailed 8-7 (2) at both the first and third position.
The No. 23 pairing of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment beat Robin Goodman and Ben Lott at first doubles to win their seventh straight match. Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow dropped Matt Frost and Ravi Patel at third doubles to improve to 3-2 in the spring season.
Drake leveled the match 1-1 when Alen Salibasic upset No. 80 Leandro Toledo 6-4, 6-0 at first singles. Toledo is now 7-3 on the year.
The Gophers went ahead for good in the match when Hamburg posted a 6-2, 6-2 win against Goodman at No. 3 singles. Hamburg is 6-2 on the year and has won six consecutive matches. Eric Frueh extended Minnesota’s lead after he won 6-0, 6-4 at the sixth position against Ben Mullis.
Drake earned its second point of the night after Patel defeated Ramirez 6-3, 6-1 at fifth singles.
Minnesota’s Ruben Weber then clinched the match for the Gophers with a three-set win against Lott at the second position. Weber won 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 as Minnesota improved to 5-5 on the season and 5-2 at home.
The Gophers return to Big Ten (Minnesota is 0-1 in conference play) action at 1 p.m. on March 1 when they host a Border Battle rivalry with Wisconsin.
No. 49 Minnesota 4, No. 45 Drake 3
February 22, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Alen Salibasic (DRAKE) def. No. 80 Leandro Toledo (UM), 6-4, 6-0
2. Ruben Weber (UM) def. Ben Lott (DRAKE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (UM) def. Robin Goodman (DRAKE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Matt Frost (DRAKE) def. Mathieu Froment (UM) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Ravi Patel (DRAKE) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Eric Frueh (UM) def. Ben Mullis (DRAKE) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 6, 5, 2, 4
1. No. 23 Jack Hamburg / Mathieu Froment (UM) def. Robin Goodman / Ben Lott (DRAKE) 8-7 (2)
2. Alen Salibasic / Ben Mullis (DRAKE) def. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (UM), 8-4
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez / Franz Sydow (UM) def. Matt Frost / Ravi Patel (DRAKE), 8-7 (2)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Minnesota Breaks Into the ITA Top 25
The University of Minnesota Golden Gopher men's tennis team broke into the ITA National Rankings Tuesday, coming in at No. 25.
Gophers Finish Weekend With Win Over Oregon
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team won their second match of the weekend with a 5-2 victory over Oregon.
Coach Young Wins 200th Career Match
The Gophers began their homestand Friday night against Middle Tennessee State and picked up their eighth victory of the season by a score of 6-1.