Feb. 16, 2013
The Minnesota men’s tennis team prevailed against Marquette today, winning the match at the Rochester Athletic Club by a score of 5-2. The Gophers grabbed the doubles point and notched four additional victories in the singles round to improve to a 3-5 record this spring.
Brendan Ruddock and Jack Hamburg teamed up at the No. 2 doubles position and got the day started right with an 8-4 victory over Marquette’s duo of Logan Collins and Cameron Tehrani. Old partners Eric Frueh and Juan Pablo Ramirez reunited at the third position and notched an identical final score over David Packowitz and Gleb Sklyr to give Minnesota the 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
On the singles side, a little shuffling put many Gophers in new positions in the lineup, where most were able to find success against opponents. Rok Bonin competed as the No. 1 singles player and took down Marquette’s biggest threat, Dan Mamalat, in straight sets (7-6, 6-4). At No. 2, Mathieu Froment easily handled Vikison Teofanovic (6-1, 6-1). Ruddock (3) and Frueh (6) were the remaining victors for the Maroon and Gold. Ruddock defeated Logan Collins by score of 7-6, 6-4, while Frueh pushed through three sets to come out on top against Jose Varela Hernomi (5-7, 6-2, 6-4).
Minnesota will begin the conference portion of its schedule next week Saturday as the team travels to Madison, Wis. to face Big Ten rival Wisconsin in a Border Battle match-up at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota 5, Marquette 2
Feb. 16, 2013
Rochester Athletic Club
1. Bonin/Froment (MINN) vs. Mamalat/Teofanovic (MARQ), unfinished
2. Ruddock/Hamburg (MINN) def. Collins/Tehrani (MARQ), 8-4
3. Frueh/Ramirez (MINN) def. Packowitz/Sklyr (MARQ), 8-4
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Dan Mamalat (MARQ), 7-6, 6-4
2. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Vukison Teofanovic (MARQ), 6-1, 6-1
3. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Logan Collins (MARQ), 7-6, 6-4
4. Cameron Tehrani (MARQ) def. Ruben Weber (MINN), 6-4, 7-6
5. Gleb Sklyr (MARQ) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Jose Varela Hernomi (MARQ), 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
Gophers Win Third Straight
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team won their third straight dual match Sunday at Baseline Tennis Center over North Dakota 7-0.
Gophers Host North Dakota
After winning their first two matches of the season, the University of Minnesota will host North Dakota Sunday at 1 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
Gophers Start Season 2-0
The University of Minnesota started off their spring season by going 2-0 Friday after defeating South Dakota State 7-0 and Marquette 7-0 at Baseline Tennis Center.