Feb. 16, 2013
The Minnesota men’s tennis team prevailed against Marquette today, winning the match at the Rochester Athletic Club by a score of 5-2. The Gophers grabbed the doubles point and notched four additional victories in the singles round to improve to a 3-5 record this spring.
Brendan Ruddock and Jack Hamburg teamed up at the No. 2 doubles position and got the day started right with an 8-4 victory over Marquette’s duo of Logan Collins and Cameron Tehrani. Old partners Eric Frueh and Juan Pablo Ramirez reunited at the third position and notched an identical final score over David Packowitz and Gleb Sklyr to give Minnesota the 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
On the singles side, a little shuffling put many Gophers in new positions in the lineup, where most were able to find success against opponents. Rok Bonin competed as the No. 1 singles player and took down Marquette’s biggest threat, Dan Mamalat, in straight sets (7-6, 6-4). At No. 2, Mathieu Froment easily handled Vikison Teofanovic (6-1, 6-1). Ruddock (3) and Frueh (6) were the remaining victors for the Maroon and Gold. Ruddock defeated Logan Collins by score of 7-6, 6-4, while Frueh pushed through three sets to come out on top against Jose Varela Hernomi (5-7, 6-2, 6-4).
Minnesota will begin the conference portion of its schedule next week Saturday as the team travels to Madison, Wis. to face Big Ten rival Wisconsin in a Border Battle match-up at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota 5, Marquette 2
Feb. 16, 2013
Rochester Athletic Club
1. Bonin/Froment (MINN) vs. Mamalat/Teofanovic (MARQ), unfinished
2. Ruddock/Hamburg (MINN) def. Collins/Tehrani (MARQ), 8-4
3. Frueh/Ramirez (MINN) def. Packowitz/Sklyr (MARQ), 8-4
1. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Dan Mamalat (MARQ), 7-6, 6-4
2. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Vukison Teofanovic (MARQ), 6-1, 6-1
3. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Logan Collins (MARQ), 7-6, 6-4
4. Cameron Tehrani (MARQ) def. Ruben Weber (MINN), 6-4, 7-6
5. Gleb Sklyr (MARQ) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Jose Varela Hernomi (MARQ), 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
161 Gophers Receive Academic All-Big Ten Honors
5/30/2018 - M. Tennis
A total of 161 student-athletes were honored by the Big Ten Conference on the Academic All-Big Ten Team.
Corwin Edged in Three in NCAA Second Round
5/24/2018 - M. Tennis
Felix Corwin saw an unforgettable season come to a close in the second round of the NCAA Singles Tournament on Wednesday at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex.
Corwin Advances to Day Two in Straight Sets
5/23/2018 - M. Tennis
Senior Felix Corwin will play another day at the NCAA Singles Tournament after picking up a victory in the round of 64 on Wednesday afternoon.