Feb. 16, 2014
The Minnesota men's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss at Iowa on Sunday as the schools began Big Ten play. The No. 39 Gophers had previously won the past 15 meetings between the two teams dating back to 1998.
Iowa staked a 1-0 lead after outlasting the Gophers in doubles play. The Hawkeyes got off to an early start with an 8-3 win at third doubles, but Minnesota's No. 23 duo of Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg got the Gophers on the board with an 8-4 win against Brian Alden and Michael Swank at first doubles.
The Hawkeyes earned the doubles point after surviving at the second position when Jonas Dierckx and Juan Estenssoro topped Franz Sydow and Leandro Toledo 7-6 (4).
Toledo, who is ranked No. 80 in singles, exacted some revenge on Dierckx with a 6-3, 6-3 win at first singles to improve to 7-2 during the spring season. The Gophers then went up 2-1 in the match after Froment posted a 6-2, 7-6 (7) win at fourth singles against Matt Hagan.
Iowa then won the next three singles matches at the fifth, sixth and second position to reach the required four points to win the match.
Minnesota closed out the scoring at third singles when Hamburg wore down Alden and won 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (12). Hamburg and Froment both went 2-0 at Iowa, but it was not enough to lead the Gophers to victory.
Minnesota returns to action on Feb. 22 when it hosts Drake and jumps back into Big Ten play when it welcomes Wisconsin to Baseline Tennis Center on March 1.
Iowa 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Feb 16, 2014 at Iowa City, Iowa
(Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex)
1. #80 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-4, 7-5
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Brian Alden (IOWA) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (14-12)
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Matt Hagan (IOWA) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
6. Michael Swank (IOWA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3
1. #23 Mathieu Froment / Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Brian Alden/Michael Swank (IOWA) 8-4
2. Jonas Dierckx/Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) def. Franz Sydow / Leandro Toledo (MINN) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Matt Hagan/Joey White (IOWA) def. Eric Frueh / Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-3
University of Minnesota 4-5 (0-1); National ranking #39
University of Iowa 5-0 (1-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,5,6,2,3)
Time: 4:05; Attendance:150
Gophers Host North Dakota
After winning their first two matches of the season, the University of Minnesota will host North Dakota Sunday at 1 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
Gophers Start Season 2-0
The University of Minnesota started off their spring season by going 2-0 Friday after defeating South Dakota State 7-0 and Marquette 7-0 at Baseline Tennis Center.
Gophers Begin Spring Season at Baseline
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team will begin their spring season Friday as they host South Dakota State at 11 a.m. and Marquette at 5 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.