Feb. 9, 2013
The Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to Boise State by a team score of 4-3 tonight at Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn. The Gophers now sit 2-5 overall this spring.
Boise State started ahead after winning two doubles matches to grab the team point. At No. 1, Andrew Bettles and Nathan Sereke defeated No. 24 pair Mathieu Froment and Rok Bonin, 8-5. Garrett Patton and Scott Sears teamed up at the No. 2 position for the Broncos and bested Jack Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock.
Minnesota was able to score some points in the singles competition, but they would come up one shy of the victory. Both Bonin and Froment made up for their doubles loss by making quick work of their opponents in the singles round. Playing at the No. 2 spot, Bonin downed Sereke, 7-6, 6-4, while Froment came out on top against Filipp Pogostkin with a 7-6, 6-2 final. For the second day in a row, Ruben Weber earned a three-set victory after working his way back from a first set loss. Against Patton, he dropped the opening game by a 6-1 score, but rebounded to win the next two 6-4, 6-4.
The Gophers are back in action next Saturday when they meet the Marquette Golden Eagles in Rochester, Minn. The match is set to begin at 5 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
#38 Boise State 4, #44 Minnesota 3
Feb. 9, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
Doubles (Boise State wins the Point)
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. #24 Froment/Bonin (MINN), 8-5
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Hamburg/Ruddock (MINN), 8-3
3. Toledo/Frueh (MINN) vs. Mitchell/Pogostkin (BSU), 7-6 unfinished
1. #28 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. #63 Leandro Toledo (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
2. #49 Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 7-6, 6-4
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 7-6. 6-2
4. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Brendan Ruddock (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
Four Gophers earn ITA Scholar Athlete honors
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association announced its 2017 All-Academic Teams and Scholar Athletes with four Golden Gophers and the University of Minnesota team making the cut.
Milicevic Earns ITA Central Region Award
The University of Minnesota’s Stefan Milicevic was named the ITA Central Region Rookie of the Year Monday while the team was awarded the ITA Central Region Community Service Award.
Gophers Fall to Yellow Jackets at NCAAs
The No. 39-ranked University of Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to No. 19 Georgia Tech in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.