Feb. 8, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 39 Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its second-straight match at home Saturday, falling to 25th-ranked Harvard 4-3 at the Baseline Tennis Center. Both weekend losses came after the Gophers won the doubles competition and both finished with the same score.
Eight matches into the season, Minnesota is 4-4. Three of the team’s four losses have come by one point.
As they did Friday against No. 34 Tulsa, the Gophers got off to a good start in doubles.
Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh gave Minnesota the edge with a 6-4 win against Conor Haughey and Kelvin Lam at No. 3 before the 47th-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment sealed the point with an upset 6-4 win over No. 17 Denis Nguyen and Casey MacMaster.
Ruben Weber gave the Gophers a 2-0 lead by finishing first in singles with a straight-set defeat of 81st-ranked Shaun Chaudhuri, but Harvard answered with three-straight wins at Nos. 1, 4, and 5 to take a 3-2 lead.
Hamburg re-tied the score by downing Sebastian Beltrame 6-3, 6-5 (5), but the Crimson took the win when Andrew Ball defeated Jeremy Lynn at No. 6.
At No. 1, Toledo lost for the first time in six matches, falling to No. 44 Denis Nguyen, 6-4, 6-4.
The Gophers pick up play next weekend when they travel to Iowa for their for Big Ten conference match. They return home Feb. 22 to play host to Drake.
No. 25 Harvard 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 44 Denis Nguyen (HARV) def. Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. No. 81 Shaun Chaudhuri (HARV) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Sebastian Beltrame (HARV) 6-3, 6-5 (5)
4. Brian Yeung (HARV) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (2)
5. Alex Steinroeder (HARV) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (4)
6. Andrew Ball (HARV) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (9)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. No. 17 Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (HARV) 6-4
2. No. 48 Brian Yeung/Nicky Hu (HARV) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-3
3. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Conor Haughey/Kelvin Lam (HARV) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
First Serve With Eli Ogilvy
GopherSports.com sat down with the Mississauga, Ont. Native to find out more from about his freshman year at Minnesota.
First Serve With Stefan Milicevic
The Belgrade, Serbia native posted a 5-2 record in both singles and doubles matches this fall. Gophersports.com sat down with Milicevic to ask him some questions about his college...
Gophers Win Both Draws At Gopher Invite
The Golden Gophers had two pairs come away with wins in the finals of both draws of the Gopher Invite Sunday.