Feb. 7, 2014
The Minnesota men's tennis team saw its four-match winning streak come to an end when it dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 34 Tulsa. The 39th-ranked Gophers return to action on Saturday afternoon against No. 25 Harvard at 3 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers jumped out to a 1-0 lead against the Golden Hurricane after claiming victories at first and third doubles. The 47th-ranked duo of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment quickly handled Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey 6-1.
Tulsa leveled the match 1-1 after Clifford Marsland defeated Ruben Weber 6-5 (6), 6-3 at second singles and then took a 2-1 lead after Alejandro Espejo topped Froment 6-5 (2), 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
Hamburg made it a 2-2 match when he notched Minnesota's first win at the third position with a 6-4, 6-4 upset against No. 71 Carlos Bautista.
Tulsa then put the match away with straight set wins at the fifth and sixth singles positions to secure the necessary four points to win the match.
Toledo recorded the Gophers' second win in singles play with a 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3) win against Japie DeKlerk after the match outcome was decided.
No. 34 Tulsa 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Friday, February 7, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
Match Duration: 2:28
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3)
2. Clifford Marsland (TULSA) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-5 (6), 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. No. 71 Carlos Bautista (TULSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-5 (2), 6-1
5. Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (3)
6. Juan Carvajal (TULSA) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg / Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez / Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Alejandro Espejo/Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) unfinished
3. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Daniel Santos/Matthew Kirby (TULSA) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
Gophers Named to ITA All-Academic Team
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team was named a 2016 Intercollegiate Association (ITA) All-Academic team.
Gophers Headline Aquatennial
The University of Minnesota had a combination of 17 former and current Gopher student-athletes who competed at the 21st Aquatennial Tennis Classic this past week.
Gophers Compete in US Open Qualifier
Six University of Minnesota tennis student-athletes and head coach Chuck Merzbacher competed in the US Open Sectional Qualifier, this weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center.