Feb. 7, 2014
The Minnesota men's tennis team saw its four-match winning streak come to an end when it dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 34 Tulsa. The 39th-ranked Gophers return to action on Saturday afternoon against No. 25 Harvard at 3 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers jumped out to a 1-0 lead against the Golden Hurricane after claiming victories at first and third doubles. The 47th-ranked duo of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment quickly handled Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey 6-1.
Tulsa leveled the match 1-1 after Clifford Marsland defeated Ruben Weber 6-5 (6), 6-3 at second singles and then took a 2-1 lead after Alejandro Espejo topped Froment 6-5 (2), 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
Hamburg made it a 2-2 match when he notched Minnesota's first win at the third position with a 6-4, 6-4 upset against No. 71 Carlos Bautista.
Tulsa then put the match away with straight set wins at the fifth and sixth singles positions to secure the necessary four points to win the match.
Toledo recorded the Gophers' second win in singles play with a 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3) win against Japie DeKlerk after the match outcome was decided.
No. 34 Tulsa 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Friday, February 7, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
Match Duration: 2:28
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3)
2. Clifford Marsland (TULSA) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-5 (6), 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. No. 71 Carlos Bautista (TULSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-5 (2), 6-1
5. Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (3)
6. Juan Carvajal (TULSA) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg / Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez / Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Alejandro Espejo/Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) unfinished
3. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Daniel Santos/Matthew Kirby (TULSA) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
Allens named USTA Northern's Family of the Year
12/6/2017 - M. Tennis
Gopher Men's Tennis rookie Jackson Allen and his family have been selected as the United States Tennis Association Northern Section’s 2017 Family of the Year.
Three Attain National Rankings After Fall Season
11/15/2017 - M. Tennis
A trio of Gophers landed themselves in the national spotlight in the latest Oracle/ITA Division I Men’s Singles and Doubles Rankings released Wednesday.
Ski-U-Mah Life: Jackson Allen
11/2/2017 - M. Tennis
The freshman's journey to campus is chronicled this week in Ski-U-Mah Life.