Feb. 7, 2014
The Minnesota men's tennis team saw its four-match winning streak come to an end when it dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 34 Tulsa. The 39th-ranked Gophers return to action on Saturday afternoon against No. 25 Harvard at 3 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers jumped out to a 1-0 lead against the Golden Hurricane after claiming victories at first and third doubles. The 47th-ranked duo of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment quickly handled Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey 6-1.
Tulsa leveled the match 1-1 after Clifford Marsland defeated Ruben Weber 6-5 (6), 6-3 at second singles and then took a 2-1 lead after Alejandro Espejo topped Froment 6-5 (2), 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
Hamburg made it a 2-2 match when he notched Minnesota's first win at the third position with a 6-4, 6-4 upset against No. 71 Carlos Bautista.
Tulsa then put the match away with straight set wins at the fifth and sixth singles positions to secure the necessary four points to win the match.
Toledo recorded the Gophers' second win in singles play with a 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3) win against Japie DeKlerk after the match outcome was decided.
No. 34 Tulsa 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Friday, February 7, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
Match Duration: 2:28
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3)
2. Clifford Marsland (TULSA) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-5 (6), 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. No. 71 Carlos Bautista (TULSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-5 (2), 6-1
5. Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (3)
6. Juan Carvajal (TULSA) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg / Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez / Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Alejandro Espejo/Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) unfinished
3. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Daniel Santos/Matthew Kirby (TULSA) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
Gopher Alumni Victorious in Charity Tournament
Jack Hamburg and Kevin Werwie each stood atop the podium in their respective charity tournaments this weekend.
Four Gophers earn ITA Scholar Athlete honors
The Intercollegiate Tennis Association announced its 2017 All-Academic Teams and Scholar Athletes with four Golden Gophers and the University of Minnesota team making the cut.
Milicevic Earns ITA Central Region Award
The University of Minnesota’s Stefan Milicevic was named the ITA Central Region Rookie of the Year Monday while the team was awarded the ITA Central Region Community Service Award.