Feb. 7, 2014
The Minnesota men's tennis team saw its four-match winning streak come to an end when it dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 34 Tulsa. The 39th-ranked Gophers return to action on Saturday afternoon against No. 25 Harvard at 3 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
The Gophers jumped out to a 1-0 lead against the Golden Hurricane after claiming victories at first and third doubles. The 47th-ranked duo of Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment quickly handled Clifford Marsland and Dylan McCloskey 6-1.
Tulsa leveled the match 1-1 after Clifford Marsland defeated Ruben Weber 6-5 (6), 6-3 at second singles and then took a 2-1 lead after Alejandro Espejo topped Froment 6-5 (2), 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
Hamburg made it a 2-2 match when he notched Minnesota's first win at the third position with a 6-4, 6-4 upset against No. 71 Carlos Bautista.
Tulsa then put the match away with straight set wins at the fifth and sixth singles positions to secure the necessary four points to win the match.
Toledo recorded the Gophers' second win in singles play with a 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3) win against Japie DeKlerk after the match outcome was decided.
No. 34 Tulsa 4, No. 39 Minnesota 3
Friday, February 7, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
Match Duration: 2:28
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) 6-5 (4), 6-5 (3)
2. Clifford Marsland (TULSA) def. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-5 (6), 6-3
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. No. 71 Carlos Bautista (TULSA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TULSA) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN) 6-5 (2), 6-1
5. Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-3, 6-5 (3)
6. Juan Carvajal (TULSA) def. Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 5, 6, 1
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg / Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Clifford Marsland/Dylan McCloskey (TULSA) 6-1
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez / Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Alejandro Espejo/Japie DeKlerk (TULSA) unfinished
3. Leandro Toledo / Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Daniel Santos/Matthew Kirby (TULSA) 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
Gophers (Finally) Back at Baseline Sunday
3/22/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers return to Big Ten play this weekend, heading out on the road Friday to face Iowa before returning to host Nebraska Sunday.
UCF Snaps Gophers' Winning Streak at Six
3/14/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers saw their six-dual winning streak snapped as the team fell 4-2 against UCF at on Wednesday evening.
Lobak Steps In and Steps Up In Rookie Season
3/8/2018 - M. Tennis
Freshman Vlad Lobak had yet to appear in a doubles match for the Gopher Men’s Tennis team during the spring season, but when his number was called, he answered.