Feb. 2, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 39th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team reeled off its fourth-consecutive victory and third of the weekend Sunday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center, dispatching No. 63 Arkansas, 6-1. The Gophers improved to 2-1 against ranked foes and are now 4-2 on the season with an unblemished 3-0 mark at their home facility.
The match kicked off well for Minnesota, which won the doubles competition for the fourth time this season and went on to complete a three-match sweep.
After missing Friday’s matches, Juan Pablo Ramirez came back to join Eric Frueh at No. 3 doubles where the duo downed the Razorbacks’ Jovan Parlic and Christian Lee, 6-2. Leandro Toledo and Franz Sydow clinched the first point of the match with a 6-4 triumph at No. 2 before 47th-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment finished off Mike Nott and Johan den Toom at No. 1 with the same score.
Reigning Big Ten Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week Leandro Toledo doubled the Gophers’ lead with his fifth win in a row at the top position. Toledo was 0-5 in the first five matches of his career at No. 1, but is now 5-5 thanks to his current string of victories.
Hamburg gave Minnesota a 3-0 lead by topping Hall Fess in straight sets at No. 3 singles before Ruben Weber clinched the team with by defeated Parlic, 6-3, 6-0, in the second position.
Following a tight Arkansas win at No. 5, juniors Frueh and Froment overcame first-set losses to earn victories at Nos. 4 and 6, respectively. Froment fell behind 5-0 in his first set before winning 14 of the final 15 games against UA’s Santiago Munoz to cap the win.
The Gophers’ schedule does not let up as the team welcomes a pair of top-30 ranked opponents to town next week. Minnesota will face No. 30 Tulsa Friday before taking on No. 24 Harvard Saturday.
No. 39 Minnesota 6, No. 63 Arkansas 1
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
Match Duration: 2:28
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-3, 6-0
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Christian Lee (ARK) 2-6, 6-0, 6-0
5. Johan den Toom (ARK) def. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
6. Eric Frueh (MINN) vs. Juan Marino (ARK) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*, 5, 6, 4
1. No. 47 Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Mike Nott/Johan den Toom (ARK) 6-4
2. Leandro Toledo/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (ARK) 6-4
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Eric Frueh (MINN) def. Jovan Parlic/Christian Lee (ARK) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1