Feb. 1, 2013
In a tightly contested match against the No. 22 Tulsa Hurricane, the No. 37 Minnesota Golden Gophers fell, 4-3, while on the road in Oklahoma. Three individuals managed to notch victories in the singles competition but an unusual disappointing doubles round left the Gophers trailing. With the loss, the team drops to 1-3 on the season, while Tulsa improves to 2-3.
Tulsa swept the doubles competition, winning at the first and second position before the third went unfinished. Rok Bonin and Mathieu Froment saw their first paired loss of the season with an 8-5 defeat by Clifford Marsland and Alejandro Espejo. The duo is now 2-1 in spring play.
The Gophers rebounded for the singles competition and traded matches to keep the game alive. At No. 63 Leandro Toledo (2) scored the first point for Minnesota with a 6-3, 6-1 defeated of Grant Ive. Froment gave the Maroon and Gold another point when he topped Lucas Vaz (6-4, 6-3) from the third spot. Down 3-2 in the game, Jack Hamburg pushed through to pull an upset over Espejo. After winning an extended tiebreaker in the first set, Hamburg rode momentum to a 6-4 victory in the second to sweep the No. 69-ranked opponent.
The match came down to the face-off of No. 49 Bonin and Marsland at the first position. Bonin prevailed in the first set, overcoming a tiebreaker situation for the 7-6 (7-4) win. Marsland retaliated and defeated Bonin by a score of 6-2 to push for a third set, where he also tallied a 6-2 advantage to give Tulsa the team victory.
Minnesota now moves to Fayetteville, Ark. for a battle with the Razorbacks this Sunday at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs. Tulsa
Feb 01, 2013 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#22 Tulsa 4, #37 Minnesota 3
1. Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. #49 Rok Bonin (MINN) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 6-2
2. #63 Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Grant Ive (TLS) 6-3, 6-1
3. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Lucas Vaz (TLS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. #69 Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) 7-5, 6-1
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Mathieu Froment/Rok Bonin (MINN) 8-5
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Leandro Toledo/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) 8-5
3. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) vs. Brendan Ruddock/Jack Hamburg (MINN) unfinished
Minnesota 1-3; National ranking #37
Tulsa 2-3; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,5,3,6,4,1)
Gophers Ranked In Singles and Doubles
Felix Corwin and Matic Spec have been ranked No. 48 in the Oracle/ITA Division I Men's National Doubles Rankings while Spec is ranked No. 42 in the singles rankings.
Gophers Sign Kaleb Dobbs
University of Minnesota head coach Geoff Young has announced the signing of Kaleb Dobbs on Tuesday.
Allen Signs With Gophers
University of Minnesota head coach Geoff Young has announced the signing of Jackson Allen Monday.