Jan. 27, 2013
Wrapping up the final day of competition at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Athens, Ga., the Golden Gophers were swept by Vanderbilt in the consolation match of the tournament by a score of 7-0. With the loss, Minnesota falls to 1-2 on the season. Vanderbilt improves its record to 2-2.
Minnesota mixed up the doubles teams for the second day of competition. Juan Pablo Ramirez and Leandro Toledo moved to the No. 1 spot while Mathieu Froment paired with Brendan Ruddock for the second position. Each team hung in with their opponents but was unable to tally the points they needed for the win, losing 8-5 in both cases. Eric Frueh and Jack Hamburg stayed together for the second day in a row and came closer against Jeff Offerdah and Rhys Johnson but ultimately fell 8-6.
Hamburg and Ruddock pushed to three sets in their respective singles matches, while a total of four tiebreakers were necessary for the outcome. Toledo, who is ranked No. 63 individually among the nation's best, faced No. 17 Ryan Lipman in the first singles position. He played tough to finish the first set with a 7-6 score and 7-2 tiebreak, but lost energy in the second set to fall 6-4.
The Gophers will remain on the road for their next two regular season events, beginning in Tulsa, Okla. on Feb. 1.
Tennis Match Results
Vanderbilt vs Minnesota
Jan 26, 2013 at Athens, Ga.
#39 Vanderbilt 7, #34 Minnesota 0
1. #17 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #63 Leandro Toledo (UMN) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. #20 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez (UMN) 6-1, 6-4
3. Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Ruben Weber (UMN) 6-2, 6-4
4. Marc van der Merwe (VU) def. Jack Hamburg (UMN) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Jeff Offerdahl (VU) def. Brendan Ruddock (UMN) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
6. #114 Kris Yee (VU) def. Eric Frueh (UMN) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Leandro Toledo (UMN) def. Ryan Lipman/Marc van der Merwe (VU) 8-5
2. Gonzales Austin/Suresh Eswaran (VU) def. Mathieu Froment/Brendan Ruddock (UMN) 8-5
3. Jeff Offerdahl/Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Eric Frueh/Jack Hamburg (UMN) 8-6
Order of Finish:
Coach Young Announces 2016-17 Schedule
Head coach Geoff Young announced the 2016-17 schedule today. The Gophers will host one tournament and 11 home matches at Baseline Tennis Center this year.
Summer Update: Levin and Sprinkel
Gophsports.com caught up with Justyn Levin and Jesse Sprinkel on what they have been doing this summer.
Summer Update: Corwin and Spec
Gophsports.com caught up with Felix Corwin and Matic Spec on what they have been doing this summer.