Jan. 25, 2014
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The top of the Gophers’ singles lineup propelled the 39th-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team to its first win of the season Saturday afternoon, a 4-0 triumph over No. 45 Brigham Young in the consolation match at ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Lexington, Ky. Minnesota won the doubles competition for the second-consecutive day before sweeping the top-three singles positions to clinch the victory.
After a grueling, four-plus-hour loss to 29th-ranked Notre Dame in Friday’s semifinal contest, it took just over two hours for Minnesota to dispatch the Cougars, who entered the weekend undefeated before falling to No. 8 Kentucky Friday.
For the second day in a row, the Gophers got off to a good start in doubles. After falling to the No. 21-ranked Greg Andrews and Alex Lawson of UND Friday, 47th-ranked Jack Hamburg and Mathieu Froment earned their first win of the spring Saturday at No. 1. The Cougars claimed a win at No. 2 doubles, but Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow came through for their second win in as many days to make it 1-0 Gophers.
Hamburg picked up where he left off after a 6-2 singles win with Froment and won his No. 3 singles match, 6-2, 6-2. To make it 3-0, Leandro Toledo won his second singles match in a row at No. 1, taking care of Francis Sargeant, 6-4, 6-1.
Sophomore Ruben Weber clinched the team win for the Gophers after ekeing out a 6-5 (3) first-set win at No. 2 with a 6-2 win in the second set.
Froment, Eric Frueh
, and Jeremy Lynn
were are tied or lead in their matches when they were abandoned due to Minnesota sealing the victory.
Next week, Minnesota will open its 2014 home schedule by beginning a five-match homestand with clashes against Wisconsin-Green Bay and Marquette Friday at the Baseline Tennis Center. The contest against UWGB begins at noon and the match against the Golden Eagles will start at 6 p.m.
2014 ITA Kick-Off Weekend
No. 39 Minnesota 4, No. 45 BYU 0
Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center – Lexington, Ky.
Sat. Jan 25, 2014
Match duration: 2:06
1. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-5 (3), 6-2
3. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Jeremy Bourgois (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mathieu Froment (MINN) led Matthew Pearce (BYU) 3-6, 6-1, 2-1 (Abd.)
5. Eric Frueh (MINN) vs. Juan Canales (BYU) 1-1 (Abd.)
6. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) led Aidan Carrazedo (BYU) 1-0 (Abd.)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. Jack Hamburg/Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Francis Sargeant/Sterling Galli (BYU) 6-2
2. Andrey Goryachkov/Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3
3. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) def. Matthew Pearce/Jacob Sullivan (BYU) 6-5 (2)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*