Jan. 25, 2013
Despite dominating in doubles play, the Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, in the opening session of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event in Athens, Ga. With the loss, the Gophers sit 1-1 on the season, while the Rams improve to 5-0.
The Maroon and Gold notched a point early in the day, winning doubles matches at both the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. No. 24 pair Rok Bonin and Mathieu Froment finished first with an 8-3 defeat of Alexis Heugas and Claes Goransson. VCU hit back with a victory over Jack Hamburg and Eric Frueh, leaving it up to the No. 2 doubles group for the decisive factor. Juan Pablo Ramirez and Leandro Toledo came through, overcoming the duo of Max Wennakoski and Michael Voscek, 8-7.
On the singles side, Bonin (2) was the lone Gopher to mark points for the team. Ranked No. 49, he downed No. 45 Wennakoski (6-2, 6-2). Matching up against No. 67 Heugas at the first position, No. 63 Toledo lost with a close call in the first set (7-5) and a 6-3 mark in the second. Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock also dropped two-set matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. Froment (3) and Ruben Weber (4) were able to force three sets but neither finished on top to help the overall team total.
Minnesota moves on to face Vanderbilt, who lost to Georgia, 4-3, in today’s afternoon session. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. For continued updates of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, visit the tournament website.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs VCU
Jan 25, 2013 at Athens, Ga.
#32 VCU 5, #34 Minnesota 2
1. #67 Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. #63 Leandro Toledo (UMN) 7-5, 6-3
2. #49 Rok Bonin (UMN) def. #45 Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Mathieu Froment (UMN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Ruben Weber (UMN) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5
5. Michael Voscek (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg (UMN) 6-2, 6-4
6. #113 Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Brendan Ruddock (UMN) 7-5, 6-4
1. #24 Rok Bonin/Mathieu Froment (UMN) def. Alexis Heugas/Claes Goransson (VCU) 8-3
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Leandro Toledo (UMN) def. Max Wennakoski/Michael Voscek (VCU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. #36 Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg/Eric Frueh (UMN) 8-4
UCF Snaps Gophers' Winning Streak at Six
3/14/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gophers saw their six-dual winning streak snapped as the team fell 4-2 against UCF at on Wednesday evening.
Gophers Return to the Court Wednesday vs UCF
3/12/2018 - M. Tennis
The Gopher Men’s Tennis Team will return to competition Wednesday after a well-earned 10-day break as the team faces off with UCF on Wednesday.
Lobak Steps In and Steps Up In Rookie Season
3/8/2018 - M. Tennis
Freshman Vlad Lobak had yet to appear in a doubles match for the Gopher Men’s Tennis team during the spring season, but when his number was called, he answered.