Jan. 25, 2013
Despite dominating in doubles play, the Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, in the opening session of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event in Athens, Ga. With the loss, the Gophers sit 1-1 on the season, while the Rams improve to 5-0.
The Maroon and Gold notched a point early in the day, winning doubles matches at both the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. No. 24 pair Rok Bonin and Mathieu Froment finished first with an 8-3 defeat of Alexis Heugas and Claes Goransson. VCU hit back with a victory over Jack Hamburg and Eric Frueh, leaving it up to the No. 2 doubles group for the decisive factor. Juan Pablo Ramirez and Leandro Toledo came through, overcoming the duo of Max Wennakoski and Michael Voscek, 8-7.
On the singles side, Bonin (2) was the lone Gopher to mark points for the team. Ranked No. 49, he downed No. 45 Wennakoski (6-2, 6-2). Matching up against No. 67 Heugas at the first position, No. 63 Toledo lost with a close call in the first set (7-5) and a 6-3 mark in the second. Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock also dropped two-set matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. Froment (3) and Ruben Weber (4) were able to force three sets but neither finished on top to help the overall team total.
Minnesota moves on to face Vanderbilt, who lost to Georgia, 4-3, in today’s afternoon session. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. For continued updates of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, visit the tournament website.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs VCU
Jan 25, 2013 at Athens, Ga.
#32 VCU 5, #34 Minnesota 2
1. #67 Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. #63 Leandro Toledo (UMN) 7-5, 6-3
2. #49 Rok Bonin (UMN) def. #45 Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Mathieu Froment (UMN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Ruben Weber (UMN) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5
5. Michael Voscek (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg (UMN) 6-2, 6-4
6. #113 Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Brendan Ruddock (UMN) 7-5, 6-4
1. #24 Rok Bonin/Mathieu Froment (UMN) def. Alexis Heugas/Claes Goransson (VCU) 8-3
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Leandro Toledo (UMN) def. Max Wennakoski/Michael Voscek (VCU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. #36 Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg/Eric Frueh (UMN) 8-4
Gophers Season Comes to a Close
Minnesota finished its season in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament falling to Purdue, 4-1, this afternoon.
Spec Named All-Big Ten
Matic Spec has been named First Team All-Big Ten for his second straight year, the conference announced Thursday.
Gophers Gearing up for B1G Tournament
The University of Minnesota Gophers are set to host the Big Ten Tournament this weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center.