Jan. 25, 2013
Despite dominating in doubles play, the Minnesota men’s tennis team fell to Virginia Commonwealth, 5-2, in the opening session of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event in Athens, Ga. With the loss, the Gophers sit 1-1 on the season, while the Rams improve to 5-0.
The Maroon and Gold notched a point early in the day, winning doubles matches at both the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. No. 24 pair Rok Bonin and Mathieu Froment finished first with an 8-3 defeat of Alexis Heugas and Claes Goransson. VCU hit back with a victory over Jack Hamburg and Eric Frueh, leaving it up to the No. 2 doubles group for the decisive factor. Juan Pablo Ramirez and Leandro Toledo came through, overcoming the duo of Max Wennakoski and Michael Voscek, 8-7.
On the singles side, Bonin (2) was the lone Gopher to mark points for the team. Ranked No. 49, he downed No. 45 Wennakoski (6-2, 6-2). Matching up against No. 67 Heugas at the first position, No. 63 Toledo lost with a close call in the first set (7-5) and a 6-3 mark in the second. Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock also dropped two-set matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively. Froment (3) and Ruben Weber (4) were able to force three sets but neither finished on top to help the overall team total.
Minnesota moves on to face Vanderbilt, who lost to Georgia, 4-3, in today’s afternoon session. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. The teams will meet tomorrow at 8 a.m. For continued updates of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, visit the tournament website.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs VCU
Jan 25, 2013 at Athens, Ga.
#32 VCU 5, #34 Minnesota 2
1. #67 Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. #63 Leandro Toledo (UMN) 7-5, 6-3
2. #49 Rok Bonin (UMN) def. #45 Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Mathieu Froment (UMN) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Ruben Weber (UMN) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5
5. Michael Voscek (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg (UMN) 6-2, 6-4
6. #113 Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Brendan Ruddock (UMN) 7-5, 6-4
1. #24 Rok Bonin/Mathieu Froment (UMN) def. Alexis Heugas/Claes Goransson (VCU) 8-3
2. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Leandro Toledo (UMN) def. Max Wennakoski/Michael Voscek (VCU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. #36 Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Jack Hamburg/Eric Frueh (UMN) 8-4
First Serve With Eli Ogilvy
GopherSports.com sat down with the Mississauga, Ont. Native to find out more from about his freshman year at Minnesota.
First Serve With Stefan Milicevic
The Belgrade, Serbia native posted a 5-2 record in both singles and doubles matches this fall. Gophersports.com sat down with Milicevic to ask him some questions about his college...
Gophers Win Both Draws At Gopher Invite
The Golden Gophers had two pairs come away with wins in the finals of both draws of the Gopher Invite Sunday.