Jan. 19, 2014
STILLWATER, Okla. – The No. 34-ranked Minnesota men’s tennis team dropped its 2014 opening match Sunday against Oklahoma State at the Greenwood Tennis Center in Stillwater, Okla. by a score of 4-1. Freshman Jeremy Lynn came up with his first-career dual match singles victory to give the Gophers their only point of the match.
Oklahoma State gained an immediate advantage in the match by claiming the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions.
Matt Campbell and Lucas Gerch were the first to finish, taking down Juan Pablo Ramirez and Franz Sydow, 6-2. Arhun Kadhe and Brady Bohrnstedt seal the point by beating Leandro Toledo and Eric Frueh, 6-3, leaving 47th-ranked Mathieu Froment and Jack Hamburg without a chance to finish at No. 1.
In singles, Lynn knotted the score for the Gophers with a quick, 6-1, 6-2 win over Chris Haworth in the six spot. The Cowboys took over from there, however, jumping back in front with a Brady Bohrnstedt triumph over Frueh by the same score.
Lynn became the first visiting player to ever win a singles match the the Greenwood Tennis Center.
OSU’s Kadhe and Jakob Sude finalize the Cowboys’ victory with wins over Hamburg and Toledo, respectively. Froment and sophomore Ruben Weber saw their matches go unfinished.
The Cowboys improved to 3-0 on the young season, Minnesota fell to 0-1. The Gophers lost their first four and eight of their first 11 matches of 2013 before turning their season around to finish 15-11 with a 9-2 Big Ten mark and a berth into the NCAA Tournament.
Minnesota picks up play next weekend at the ITA National Team Indoor Regional in Lexington, Ky. The Gophers play No. 29 Notre Dame, followed by either No. 9 Kentucky or BYU the following day.
1. Jakob Sude (OSU) def. Leandro Toledo (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
2. Sebastian Sachs (OSU) vs. Ruben Weber (MINN) 6-5(5), 3-1 (unfinished)
3. Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lucas Gerch (OSU) vs. Matheiu Froment (MINN) 5-6(5), 3-0 (unfinished)
5. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jeremy Lynn (MINN) def. Chris Haworth (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: (6, 5, 1, 3)
1. Sebastian Sachs/Jakob Sude (OSU) vs. No. 47 Mathieu Froment/Jack Hamburg (MINN) 5-3 (unfinished)
2. Arhun Kadhe/Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Leandro Toledo/Eric Frueh (MINN) 6-3
3. Matt Campbell/Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. Juan Pablo Ramirez/Franz Sydow (MINN) 6-2
Order of finish: (3, 2)
Gophers Begin Spring Season at Baseline
The University of Minnesota men’s tennis team will begin their spring season Friday as they host South Dakota State at 11 a.m. and Marquette at 5 p.m. at Baseline Tennis Center.
Gophers Ranked In Singles and Doubles
Felix Corwin and Matic Spec have been ranked No. 48 in the Oracle/ITA Division I Men's National Doubles Rankings while Spec is ranked No. 42 in the singles rankings.
Gophers Sign Kaleb Dobbs
University of Minnesota head coach Geoff Young has announced the signing of Kaleb Dobbs on Tuesday.