1979 NCAA Champions
Row 1 (L-R) - Steve Janaszak, Rob McClanahan, Joe Baker, Phil Verchota, Head Coach Herb Brooks, Captain Bill Baker, Athletic Director Paul Giel, Steve Christoff, Eric Strobel, Don Micheletti, Jim Jetland.
Row 2 (L-R) - Dave Terwilliger, Mike Greeder, Jeff Teal, Student Trainer Jim Mulcahy, Trainer Mike Bell, Asst. Coach Brad Buetow, Asst. Coach John Perpich, Asst. Coach Mike Foley, Student Manager Steve Tollund, Student Manager Fred Field, Mike Ramsey, Brad Doshan, Tim Harrer.
Row 3 (L-R) - Steve Ulseth, Neal Broten, Kevin Hartzell, Brian Zins, Jay Larson, Bob Bergloff, Steve Pepper, Peter Hayek, John Meredith, Wayne Larson, Bart Larson.
- The Golden Gophers were 18-3-1 in all games at Mariucci Arena.
- Team captain Bill Baker was named an All-American after scoring a then single-season record of 54 points by a defenseman. (That record was broken in 1995-96 by Mike Crowley.)
- Junior wings Steve Christoff led the team with 38 goals while Don Micheletti added 36.
- The Golden Gophers won 11 of 12 games from Nov. 24 through Jan. 6.
- Junior wing Tim Harrer led the team in power-play (13) and game-winning goals (7).
Robson, Rossini Win BCHL Fred Page Cup
The Vees now head to the 2017 Western Canada Cup – an event the organization is hosting April 29-May 7 at South Okanagan Events Centre in Penticton.
Guentzel to Recieve Terry Flanagan Award in Naples
A native of Marble, Minn., Guentzel played for Minnesota from 1981-85 and served as an assistant coach with the program from 1994-2008. He returned as associate head coach in 2011.
`U' Names Captains for 2017-18
All-American Tyler Sheehy will serve as team captain for the Gopher Hockey program in 2017-18 while Leon Bristedt, Mike Szmatula and Ryan Lindgren will serve as alternate captains.