1974 NCAA Champions
Row 1 (L-R) - Equipment Manager Dick Brown, John Matschke, John Perpich, Eric Lockwood, Team Captain Brad Shelstad, Bill Moen, Cal Cossalter, John Harris, Manager Dennis Cossalter.
Row 2 (L-R) - Dr. V. George Nagobads (team doctor), Brad Marrow, John Sheridan, Bruce Carlson, Doug Falls, Dick Spannbauer, Mike Phippen, Robby Harris, Les Auge, Tim Carlson, Athletics Director Paul Giel, Head Coach Herb Brooks.
Row 3 (L-R) - Tom Vannelli, Warren Miller, Tom Dahlheim, Joe Micheletti, Bill "Buzz" Schneider, Mike Polich, Pat Phippen, Manager David Gurovitsch.
- After starting the season 0-4-1, the Golden Gophers promptly put together a nine-game unbeaten streak (8-0-1).
- Minnesota was 13-1-2 in its final 16 home games at Williams Arena.
- Netminder Brad Shelstad, the last Golden Gopher goaltender to captain the team, was named NCAA Championship and team Most Valuable Performer after an outstanding senior season.
- Centers Mike Polich (19-33--52) and John Harris (17-27--44) led the team in scoring. Polich went on to a successful NHL career while Harris later enjoyed success in a different sports venue, winning the 1993 U.S. Amateur Golf Championship.
- Minnesota became the first team with a roster consisting only of Americans to win an NCAA Men's Hockey Championship in 25 years.
‘U’ Finalizes 2018-19 Schedule
5/24/2018 - M. Ice Hockey
The Maroon & Gold open the 98th season of play against the defending national champions in Minnesota Duluth with a home-and-home series (Oct. 6-7).
Dean Blais Honored by USA Hockey
5/23/2018 - M. Ice Hockey
A native of International Falls, Minn., Blais was a four-year letter winner for the Maroon & Gold from 1970-1973 – recording 139 points (56 goals, 83 assists) in 124 career games.
Gophers Announce Big Ten Schedule
5/22/2018 - M. Ice Hockey
The 98th season of Gopher Hockey will see the Maroon & Gold take the ice for the first time under new head coach Bob Motzko.