Greater Northrop Field (1899-1923)
Named in honor of University President Cyrus Northrop, Greater Northrop Field opened its doors in 1899. Prior to the stadium's construction, the University of Minnesota played on a field south of the Armory. The grandstand consisted of chairs around the sidelines. When rates for a downtown stadium increased, the University found it a necessity for an enclosed stadium on the campus.
Built in front of Pillsbury Hall, which still stands today, the Northrop Field originally featured a nine-foot high board fence built by the student body. A quarter-mile track ran around the playing field. Alfred Pillsbury organized the building of a massive brick fence that was built around the original grandstand that made Northrop Field unlike any other stadium in the country at the time. The grandstand seated 8,000 fans and was 33 rows high. Additional seating in the end zones added to the seating capacity.
Minnesota played its first game at Northrop Field in November of 1899 against Northwestern where it suffered an 11-5 defeat. The last game was played in 1923 when Minnesota beat Iowa 20-7. Perhaps the most memorable game was a 6-6 tie with Michigan when an over capacity 20,000 fans crowded into the stadium.
Carpenter, Richardson Recognized by AP
The Associated Press named its All-Big Ten on Monday with Emmit Carpenter earning first team honors and Steven Richardson being named second team.
Gophers Headed To Holiday Bowl
Minnesota will play Washington State in the 2016 National Funding Holiday Bowl on Dec. 27, in San Diego, Calif. The 6 p.m. CT game will be played at Qualcomm Stadium and broadcast on ESPN.
Carpenter Represents Gophers at B1G Championship
Emmit Carpenter represented the Minnesota Gophers at the Big Ten championship game as he was honored for winning Big Ten Kicker of the Year.