MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL (12/19/11) - The University of Minnesota football team will have a new look when it takes the field for the 2012 season-opener Sept. 1 at UNLV's Sam Boyd Stadium. The Gophers will be wearing newly-designed uniforms by Nike.
Those uniforms will be unveiled during an event at TCF Bank Stadium in mid-January. However, the new-look helmets that will go with the Gophers' new uniforms are being introduced today, Dec. 19.
Minnesota's new helmets feature a textured maroon finish, the Gophers' traditional Block M helmet decal, black facemasks, black chinstraps, a Block M above the facemask, each player's uniform number on the back of the helmet and the traditional Minnesota cheer "Ski-U-Mah" on the back of the helmet.
"The reaction from our players and the recruits who have seen the new helmet has been very positive," director of equipment operations Kyle Gergely said. "With the black accents and the textured finish, it's a modern twist on an old-school look."
The equipment staff worked closely with Nike to come up with all the design elements.
"Josh Iverson with Nike did a great job working with our color scheme and researching our past history to come up with the design details for the new helmet and uniforms," Gergely added.
"I'd 'Like' To See 'Em First Contest Hints"
Wednesday, Dec. 14
Thursday, Dec. 15
Friday, Dec. 16
Saturday, Dec. 17
Sunday, Dec. 18
Gopher Football Uniform "I'd 'Like' to See Them First!" contest rules
1. Contest begins December 14, 2011 and ends December 19, 2011.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest only open to legal residents of the U.S. who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of University of Minnesota Athletics and their immediate families (spouses and parents, siblings and children and their spouses, or any other household member), their affiliates or subsidiaries, and any other company involved with the design, production, execution or distribution of this promotion are not eligible.
3. ENTRIES: Internet entry only. FACEBOOK: To enter, user must publicly "like," "share" or comment on any photos posted by Gopher Athletics via the official Minnesota Gophers Facebook page (facebook.com/gopherathletics) that feature a part of the new Gopher Football helmet design (five photos will be posted between 12/14 and 12/19). Two (2) winners will be chosen at random among those entrants who interact with any/all of the designated photos on Facebook. TWITTER: User must "ReTweet" any Tweets posted by @GopherAthletics (twitter.com/GopherAthletics) or @GoldenGopherFB (twitter.com/GoldenGopherFB) containing photos that feature a part of the new Gopher Football helmet design (five photos will be posted between 12/14 and 12/19) and utilize the hashtag "#GopherUniforms". Two (2) winners will be chosen at random via Twitter.
4. PRIZE: Winners will receive access for themselves and a guest to the official unveiling of the complete Gopher Football uniform redesign, to take place in early 2012 (more details to be announced at a later date via gophersports.com). Prizes are non-transferable. Odds of being selected as winner are determined by the number of eligible entries received.
5. Winners will be notified by phone, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter and/or other methods as needed.