April 15, 2014
This week, crews at TCF Bank Stadium began the process of prepping the stadium for the arrival of the NFL's Minnesota Vikings this fall. While the Vikings' new stadium is being constructed on the former site of the Metrodome, the Vikings will play the 2014 and 2015 seasons on the University of Minnesota campus.
The turf is being replaced with a "hydronic heated field" for the Vikings. The turf is being moved to a recycling/reconstruction/re-purposing service facility. At this time, no decision has been made about where it will go from there or how it will be used. That decision is currently being evaluated.
Other enhancements in store for TCF Bank Stadium : Increased storage space throughout the stadium, heating in various areas, concession upgrades and temporary bleachers to accommodate 2,000 more fans. The total capacity at TCF Bank for the Vikings will be above 52,000.
Certain improvements to TCF Bank Stadium are necessary for winter stadium operation and to meet specific NFL mandates, including:
- Installation of new turf and an appropriate heating element for the playing surface to be determined by Vikings and University officials.
- Installation of heat trace pipe to ensure cold weather plumbing functionality.
- Potential installation of additional temporary seating in the western end zone plaza, subject to approval by the University's building code division (number of seats yet to be determined by Vikings and University officials).
- Any necessary modification of existing video platform to meet NFL broadcast requirements.
- Installation of additional insulation in various locations around TCF Bank Stadium.
- Build-out of storage space within TCF Bank Stadium.
Watch Brick by Brick: "Border Battle"
Look back on the win against Illinois and towards the Border Battle with Wisconsin in the latest episode.
Murray To Play In Senior Bowl
Eric Murray has accepted an invitation to play in the Reese’s Senior Bowl. The game will take place on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016
Game 12: Wisconsin at Minnesota
Minnesota hosts Wisconsin at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 28. The game can be watched on Big Ten Network and can be heard on KFAN.