April 15, 2014
This week, crews at TCF Bank Stadium began the process of prepping the stadium for the arrival of the NFL's Minnesota Vikings this fall. While the Vikings' new stadium is being constructed on the former site of the Metrodome, the Vikings will play the 2014 and 2015 seasons on the University of Minnesota campus.
The turf is being replaced with a "hydronic heated field" for the Vikings. The turf is being moved to a recycling/reconstruction/re-purposing service facility. At this time, no decision has been made about where it will go from there or how it will be used. That decision is currently being evaluated.
Other enhancements in store for TCF Bank Stadium : Increased storage space throughout the stadium, heating in various areas, concession upgrades and temporary bleachers to accommodate 2,000 more fans. The total capacity at TCF Bank for the Vikings will be above 52,000.
Certain improvements to TCF Bank Stadium are necessary for winter stadium operation and to meet specific NFL mandates, including:
- Installation of new turf and an appropriate heating element for the playing surface to be determined by Vikings and University officials.
- Installation of heat trace pipe to ensure cold weather plumbing functionality.
- Potential installation of additional temporary seating in the western end zone plaza, subject to approval by the University's building code division (number of seats yet to be determined by Vikings and University officials).
- Any necessary modification of existing video platform to meet NFL broadcast requirements.
- Installation of additional insulation in various locations around TCF Bank Stadium.
- Build-out of storage space within TCF Bank Stadium.
Elite Access: Gophers at Target Field
6/22/2018 - Football
The entire Gopher Football team traveled to Target Field in Minneapolis to watch the Minnesota Twins play the Boston Red Sox in June.
6/18/2018 - Football
Jerry Gibson and Winston DeLattiboudere are spending their summer as Como Park Zoo and Conservatory security guards.
Player Profile: Antonio Shenault
6/18/2018 - Football
Antonio Shenault will help lead a young defensive back group in 2018. The senior has played in 33 games and has made 111 tackles.