Nov. 26, 2011
Recap | Final Stats | Photo Gallery
Minnesota [3-9, 2-6] 27, Illinois [6-6, 2-6] 7
Nov. 26, 2011
TCF Bank Stadium
- Minnesota and Illinois met for the 65th time today.
- Minnesota leads the all-time series 34-28-3, including a 20-11-1 mark in Minneapolis, with today’s
- Today’s game was the second meeting between the two programs in TCF Bank Stadium. Illinois won
the first matchup with the Gophers in TCFBS, 35-32, in 2009.
- The road team had won four straight games in the series until today. The last win by a home team in
the series was a 45-0 victory by the Gophers at the Metrodome in 2004.
- Minnesota finishes its season with a 3-9 record, including a 2-6 mark in conference play.
- The 2011 season is the first losing season by a Jerry Kill coached team since 2002, when he guided
Southern Illinois to a 4-8 record. Kill had guided two different teams to eight consecutive postseason
berths over the last eight seasons.
- Minnesota finishes 3-9 for the second straight season.
- Each of the Gophers’ three wins this season came at TCF Bank Stadium.
- Today’s win marks the second straight year that the Gophers have ended the season with a victory.
- Minnesota’s 27-0 third quarter lead was the Gophers’ largest since defeating Florida Atlantic 37-3 in
- Minnesota led Illinois 20-0 at halftime. It was the first time the Gophers had blanked an opponent in
the first half since leading Kent State 17-0 on Aug. 31 2006 in 44-0 win.
- Illinois’ seven points were the fewest by a Minnesota opponent since the Gophers held Purdue to 6
points in 2008.
- With holding Illinois to only seven points, Minnesota snaps a 23-game streak of allowing at least 17
points in a game, which was the longest in the FBS division.
- Minnesota did not trail at all during today's victory, which is the first time in the Gophers' last 11 wins.
- The Gophers snapped a 41-game streak of trailing in a game today.
- Minnesota’s 14-0 second-quarter lead was the first double-digit lead for the Gophers at home since
holding a 28-17 edge with just over five minutes to play in the third quarter vs. Michigan State in on
Oct. 31, 2009.
- The Gophers five sacks today were a season high. Minnesota had three vs. Iowa and Purdue earlier
- The last time Minnesota held its opponent under 200 total yards was Iowa in 2009.
- Quarterback MarQueis Gray rushed for 167 yards, including touchdowns of 16 and 14 yards. The TD
runs were his fifth and sixth of the season. He finishes his junior year with 13 career TDs (7 rush/6
- Gray’s 167 yards were the 2nd most in a game by a Gopher QB and marked the fourth time this
season that he has topped the 100-yard mark on the ground. It is the most 100-yard rushing games
in a season since Amir Pinnix notched five in 100-plus yard rushing games.
- Gray also tied Billy Cockerham’s record for most 100-yard rushing games by a quarterback in a
season. Cockerham had four 100-plus yard rushing games in 1999.
- Gray finishes the season with 966 rushing yards, the most ever by a Gopher quarterback. He
surpassed Billy Cockerham, who rushed for 831 years during the 1999 season.
- Gray’s 966 rushing yards this season is the most by a Gopher since Amir Pinnix ran for 1,272 in
- Gray tossed his eighth touchdown pass of the season and the ninth of his career today.
- Junior tight end John Rabe hauled in an 8-yard touchdown reception to give Minnesota a 14-0 lead
during the second quarter. The TD grab was his second of his career and the first since the Miami
- Sophomore defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman recorded the first two sacks of his career during the
first half, forcing a fumble on the second that was recovered deep in Illinois territory by Michael
Amaefula to set up the game’s first score.
- Safety Kim Royston collected his eighth double-digit tackle game of the season, finishing with 13.
- Place-kicker Jordan Wettstein’s 51-yard field goal to close out the first half was the longest field goal
by a Gopher since Joel Monroe hit a 54-yarder vs. Iowa on Nov. 10, 2007. Wettstein also connected
on a 43-yard field goal in the second quarter. With the two field goals, Wettstein finished the season
a perfect 6 for 6 on field goal tries this season.
Minnesota Minute: Best NBA 2K Player?
2/21/2018 - Football
We asked the guys who the best NBA 2K player on the team is in honor of NBA All-Star weekend.
Elite Access: New Uniform Reveal
2/21/2018 - Football
Go inside the team meeting where P.J. Fleck revealed Minnesota's NEW 2018 uniforms, with the help of alumni Maxx Williams, MarQueis Gray & Dom Barber!
Gophers Release H.Y.P.R.R. ELITE Uniforms
2/20/2018 - Football
Minnesota released its new Nike uniforms this morning that it will wear in 2018 and beyond.