Nov. 24, 2012
Michigan State [6-6, 3-5] 26, Minnesota [6-6, 2-6] 10
November 24, 2012 | TCF Bank Stadium | Minneapolis, Minn. | Att. 44,194
- Today’s game was the 45th all-time meeting with Michigan State, and the Spartans now hold a 28-17 lead in the series.
- Minnesota has won six of the past 11 games between the schools, and four of the past six in Minneapolis, but the Spartans have won the past three meetings overall.
- The Gophers are 11-13 all-time against MSU at home, and have lost just twice to the Spartans in Minneapolis since 1998. Prior to today’s win, MSU’s last road win versus the Gophers during that time was a 44-38 win on Oct. 18, 2003.
- Minnesota fell to 12-16 in games played at TCF Bank Stadium, and is 11-10 there since the start of 2010.
- The Gophers dropped to 4-3 at home this season.
- Kill’s career record in home games fell to 82-32 (.719).
- The Gophers lost a regular season finale for the first time since 2009. Minnesota defeated Iowa, 27-24, to close the 2010 season, and posted a 27-7 win versus Illinois to wrap up the 2011 regular season.
- Minnesota had won its final home game at TCF Bank Stadium in each of the first three seasons at the facility before suffering today's loss.
- Minnesota’s seniors chose to wear Gold pants and Gold jerseys for the first time this season. The Gophers wore a total of four different uniform combinations for home games this year, going 2-1 with Maroon pants and jerseys, 1-0 with Gold jersey and Maroon pants, and 1-1 in Maroon jerseys and Gold pants.
- The Gophers led 7-6 at the end of the first quarter. Minnesota held leads at the end of the opening quarter five times this season, going 4-1 in those games.
- Offensively, the Gophers were limited to 96 yards of total offense and seven first downs. It’s the first time they’ve had less than 10 first downs since having nine versus Wisconsin on Nov. 12, 2011.
- Minnesota was also held without an offensive touchdown for the first time this season.
INDIVIDUAL NOTES (OFFENSE)
- Senior MarQueis Gray started the game at QB on Senior Day. He was 0-of-1 passing and ran the ball five times for four yards. Gray also played wide receiver, but didn’t catch a pass.
- Freshman quarterback Philip Nelson was 10-of-23 for 61 yards and three interceptions.
- Sophomore QB Max Shortell also played, completing 3-of-6 passes for 31 yards with an interception.
- Freshman wide receiver Andre McDonald caught three passes for a career-high 36 yards to lead the Gophers.
- Junior wide receiver Derrick Engel caught a career-best three passes totaling 35 yards.
INDIVIDUAL NOTES (DEFENSE)
- Junior linebacker Aaron Hill intercepted his second pass attempt of the season (also second career) and returned it 33 yards for his first career touchdown. It was
- Senior defensive end D.L. Wilhite recorded a sack, giving him a team-leading total of 8.5 sacks during the regular season. Wilhite’s total ranks seventh on Minnesota’s all-time single-season list, and is the most in a season since Willie VanDeSteeg recorded 10.5 sacks during 2008.
- Freshman safety Derrick Wells recorded a career-high 12 tackles, and also tied his career-highs with seven solo tackles and one tackle for loss.
- Senior linebacker Keanon Cooper tied his career-high by registering 2.5 tackles for loss to go along with eight tackles (six solo). Cooper’s solo tackles mark also tied his career-best.
INDIVIDUAL NOTES (SPECIAL TEAMS)
- Senior Jordan Wettstein kicked a season-best 48-yard field goal in the third quarter. Wettstein’s career-long field goal of 51 yards came during last year’s season finale versus Illinois on Nov. 26.
- Sophomore punter Christian Eldred punted six times for a 44.3 yard average, with a long punt of 52 yards. He pinned the Spartans inside their own 20 three times.
O'Brien Featured By Yahoo! Sports
4/23/2018 - Football
Casey O'Brien is fighting cancer for the fourth time, but that hasn't stopped him from playing football or from visiting patients at Masonic Children's Hospital.
Student Season Ticket Packages Unveiled
4/19/2018 - Football
University of Minnesota student season tickets for Gopher football, men's basketball, and men's hockey are on sale beginning Monday, April 23.
Goldy Gopher: A Heart of Gold
4/18/2018 - Football
What makes Goldy Gopher such a special "face" of the University of Minnesota? Learn more in this video!