Nov. 12, 2011
No. 16/14/18 Wisconsin [8-2, 4-2] 42, Minnesota [2-8, 1-5] 13
Nov. 12, 2011
TCF Bank Stadium
• Minnesota and Wisconsin played for the 121st time today, continuing the most-played rivalry in college football.
• With the loss, Minnesota’s lead in the all-time series slipped to 58-54-8, including a 37-21-2 mark at home.
• The Gophers’ loss was their eighth in a row to the Badgers.
• The eight-game losing streak is Minnesota’s longest in the series.
• Minnesota has not defeated Wisconsin since notching a 37-34 victory at the Metrodome in 2003.
• Minnesota fell to 2-8 overall, 1-5 Big Ten, and 2-4 at home this season with today’s loss.
• The Maroon and Gold are now 1-2 in trophy games in 2011.
• The Gophers recorded two sacks of Wisconsin quarterback Russell Wilson on the Badgers’ opening drive. Coming into the game, Ohio State’s three sacks of Wilson were the most the Badgers had allowed in a game this year.
• Duane Bennett’s 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown was the second kickoff return for a score this season by the Gophers. Marcus Jones returned a kickoff 92 yards at Purdue earlier this season. It is the first time Minnesota has had two kickoff returns for touchdowns in the same season since 1997.
• Minnesota was held to 156 offensive yards, which is the team’s lowest of the season.
• Quarterback MarQueis Gray led the Gophers on the ground with 68 yards on 19 attempts.
• Gray now has 639 yards for the year to rank 3rd on the Gophers’ single-season rushing chart for quarterbacks.
• Duane Bennett returned the second half kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown. It was his first career kickoff return for a score and 22nd touchdown overall for his career (16 rushing/5 receiving/1 kickoff return).
• Place-kicker Jordan Wettstein ran a fake field goal attempt five yards for his first career touchdown to get the Gophers on the scoreboard during the second quarter.
• Cornerback Kyle Henderson recorded his second sack of the season and linebacker Gary Tinsley picked up his third during the Badgers’ opening possession of the game.
• Tinsley also collected a season-high 12 tackles (seven solo) for the game (season-high coming in was 8/career best is 14 last season at Wisconsin).
Six Gophers Receive Athlon Recognition
5/24/2018 - Football
Athlon Sports has named six Gophers to its Big Ten Football 2018 All-Conference Team. This preseason announcement is a prediction by the magazine on how players will perform in 2018.
Player Profile: Rodney Smith
5/23/2018 - Football
Rodney Smith will go down in Minnesota history as one of the program’s most elite running backs and has a chance this season to set a new standard for all-purpose yards by a Gopher.
Virtual Tour: Larson Football Performance Center
5/10/2018 - Football
Take a virtual tour of the new home of Minnesota Golden Gopher Football, the David & Janis Larson Performance Center!