- Has been with the Minnesota program since 2008, after spending nearly six years as director of athletics at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn.
- Also serves as the Director of High School Relations for the Gopher football program.
- Led Hamline athletic department which saw its number of student-athletes competing in the postseason rise from one to 121 during his tenure.
- Under O'Brien's leadership, 23 Hamline teams qualified for MIAC or national postseason play or finished the season in the top four in the conference.
- Served at Concodia-St. Paul from 1995-2002 in capacities that included head football coach and director of athletics. He is a member of Concordia's Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2012 and will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on Friday, October 5, 2012 during Homecoming weekend.
- Instrumental in taking Golden Bears from NAIA level to NCAA Division II.
- Led Concordia-St. Paul to its first two football wins as a member of NCAA Division II.
- Began tenure at Concordia as assistant head football coach. Served as head coach in 1999 and 2000, while also working as director of athletics.
- Has worked at the NAIA, NCAA Division III, NCAA Division II and NCAA Division I levels.
- Was named head coach at Bemidji High School in 1993.
- Began coaching career as an assistant at Benilde-St. Margaret's High School in 1987. Served as an assistant coach at Lakeville High School, beginning in 1989.
Accomplishments as a Player
- Earned All-Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors as a defensive back at the University of St. Thomas.
- Played for St. Thomas for three seasons, serving as a team captain during his final two years.
- Earned all-conference honors at Normandale Community College and played in the Midwest Bowl.