Date: Monday, November 25, 2013
Time: 4:30 p.m. CT
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Arena: Lahaina Civic Center
Jon Sciambi (Play-by-Play)
Jimmy Dykes (Analyst)
Radio: Learfield/1500 ESPN Twin Cities
Mike Grimm (Play-by-Play)
Spencer Tollackson (Analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 111/XM 190
Series: 2nd meeting (1-0)
Series (Neutral): 2nd meeting (1-0)
Current Streak: W-1
Last Meeting: March 23, 1990 - W, 82-75
Richard Pitino vs. Syracuse: First meeting
Minnesota vs. ACC: 17-24
Richard Pitino vs. ACC: First meeting
GAME DAY TID-BITS
• The Gophers are 1-0 all-time against Syracuse with the only meeting occurring in the Sweet 16 of the 1990 NCAA Tournament. The win lead Minnesota to its first ever Elite Eight appearance.
• This will be the first game for Richard Pitino against Syracuse as the head of a program but Pitino has been on the bench six other times as an assistant while facing the Orange - five while at the University of Louisville (3-2) and once while at the University of Florida (0-1).
• Richard Pitino's father, Hall of Fame Coach Rick Pitino, was an assistant for fellow HOF Coach Jim Boeheim at Syracuse for Boeheim's first two seasons as the head coach, 1976-77 & 1977-78. The Orange were a combined 48-10 in those two seasons .
• Through five games Andre Hollins is leading the Gophers and is fifth in the Big Ten Conference with a scoring average of 18.8 ppg. Minnesota has not had a player lead the B1G in scoring since Kris Humphries did so during the 2003-04 season with an average of 21.7 ppg. In fact, dating back to the 1947-48 season, the program has only had 16 seasons that a player finished with a scoring average of over 20.0 ppg. Hollins scored 15 pts in the first half against Coastal Carolina to move past 900 career points.
• The Gophers have managed 44 steals through five games this season, second amongst all Big Ten Conference teams. DeAndre Mathieu leads the team and is fifth in the B1G with 11 steals while senior Austin Hollins has seven. Austin has 145 career steals which is currently the ninth-most in the history of the Golden Gopher program.
• Minnesota junior center Elliott Eliason is the Gophers & B1G leading rebounder with an average of 11.2 rebounds per game. He is also second in the league in blocked shots after his seven-block effort against Wofford (11/21).