|Minnesota (4-1) vs. #19/17 Memphis (2-1)|
|Date||Friday, November 23, 2012|
|Location||Imperial Arena - Paradise Island, Bahamas|
|Series Record||Tied 2-2|
|Last Meeting||W, 70-55 (Dec. 31, 1992)|
|Television||AXS.tv; DIRECTV channel 340, Dish Network channel 362, Comcast - Minneapolis area: channels 420 & 875; St. Paul area: channels 268 & 875|
|Radio||Learfield/1500 ESPN (Listen Online)|
|(Mike Grimm, Spencer Tollackson)|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Memphis|
|Season Statistics||Minnesota | Memphis|
|Social Media||Facebook | @GopherBBall | @CoachTubbySmith|
Series: 5th Meeting (2-2)
Series (Neutral): First Meeting
Current Streak: 1-0
Last Meeting: Dec. 31, 1992 (W, 70-55 - Home)
Tubby Smith vs. Memphis: 3rd Meeting (1-1)
Minnesota vs. Conference USA: 15-18
Losses: Houston (3), Memphis (2), Rice, SMU (6), Tulsa, UAB (2), UTEP (3)
Tubby Smith vs. Conference USA: 12-3
Losses: Memphis, UAB (2)
Game Day Tid-Bits:
• Tubby Smith is 12-3 all-time against teams currently in Conference USA and will be meeting Memphis for the third time as a head coach - 0-1 at Kentucky & 1-0 at Georgia.
• This is the fifth meeting between Minnesota and Memphis but the first time since the 1992-93 season.
• Gophers' guard Andre Hollins and Memphis' Joe Jackson and Ferrakohn Hall were teammates at White Station High School in Memphis. Austin Hollins is also from Memphis but attended Germantown High School.
• Minnesota now holds an overall record of 13-6 against the other seven teams in the Battle 4 Atlantis field.
• Minnesota holds a record of 11-5 in regular-season tournaments during the Tubby Smith era, including the 2010 Puerto Rico Tipoff title after wins over Western Kentucky, #8 North Carolina & West Virginia.
• Rodney Williams opened against Duke with a team-high 16 points and is currently on a streak of 14 games scored in double figures, the longest such streak of his career. He is averaging 16.4 ppg in that span.
• Williams also added a team-high seven rebounds against the Blue Devils and is now over 400 for his career. He has finished with at least five rebounds in 13 of the last 14 games for an average of 6.4 rpg.
• Maverick Ahanmisi came off the bench against Duke to score 10 points and went a perfect 2-for-2 from the field and 6-for-6 from the free throw line. It is the first double-digit scoring game for Ahanmisi since collecting a career high 13 points against North Dakota State on Dec. 22, 2011.
• Trevor Mbakwe scored a season-high 11 points against Duke, his first double-digit game since scoring 16 points and grabbing 12 rebounds against DePaul in the opening round of the 2011 Old Spice Classic (11/24/11).
Gophers Edged in OT By No. 17 Wisconsin, 78-76
Amir Coffey scored 19 points and Akeem Springs added 16 for the Gophers (15-5, 3-4), who lost their third straight game. Springs hit a 3 to force overtime, but his last-second heave in...
Preview: Gophers vs. Wisconsin
The Gophers return home Saturday afternoon to face the 17th-ranked Badgers in their first of two meetings this season.
Gophers Can't Hold Off Penn State, Fall 52-50
Tony Carr drew a foul on a final drive to the basket and made two free throws with five seconds left to lift Penn State to a 52-50 win over No. 24 Minnesota on Saturday.