|Minnesota (20-14) vs. Miami (Fla.) (20-12)|
|Date||Monday, March 19, 2012|
|Time||8:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||BankUnited Center (7,200)|
|Series Record||Miami leads 1-0|
|Last Meeting||L, 63-58 (Dec. 2, 2009)|
|Television||ESPN (Mike Patrick, Dan Dakich)|
|Radio||Learfield/1500 ESPN (Listen Online)|
|(Mike Grimm, Spencer Tollackson)|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Miami|
|Season Statistics||Minnesota | Miami|
|Social Media||Facebook | @MNGopherHoops | @CoachTubbySmith|
Series: 2nd meeting (0-1)
Series (Away): 2nd meeting (0-1)
Current Streak: L-1
Last Meeting: Dec. 2, 2009 (L, 63-58)
Tubby Smith vs. Miami: 4th meeting (2-1)
Minnesota vs. ACC: 15-23
Tubby Smith vs. ACC: 21-15
Game Day Tid-Bits:
• Minnesota will head back on the road to take on the University of Miami in the second round of the NIT.
• The Canes defeated the Gophers in the only other matchup against the two schools, a 63-58 victory during the 2009 Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
• The Gophers & Canes share two common opponents this season in Virginia Tech & Purdue. Minnesota defeated Va Tech during the 2012 Big Ten/ACC Challenge and dropped the sole matchup of the season against Purdue.
• With the opening-round victory over La Salle, Smith collected his 100th career win at Minnesota. He joins a list of eight coaches in program history have won 100 or more games. L.J. Cooke (1897-1924) tops the list with 250 career wins. Smith’s winning percentage at Minnesota is fourth all-time in Gopher annuals.
• Smith also reached the 20-win plateau with the victory over La Salle giving him at least 20 wins in 18 of the last 19 seasons, including four in his five seasons at Minnesota.
• This is the 14th appearance for the Gophers in the National Invitational Tournament. They are 19-11 in non-vacated NIT games, including the 1993 championship. Minnesota also won the 1998 title but that has since been vacated. Minnesota’s record is 25-12 when the vacated games are included.
• The Gophers are one of six teams to have 25 or more wins in the history of the NIT. St. John’s, with a record of 45-26, has the most wins. Minnesota has now reached the second round in 11 of its 14 NIT appearances.
• Rodney Williams led the Gophers with 21 points in the opening round against La Salle. He scored 20 against Michigan in Minnesota’s loss in the B1G Tournament, meaning he will try to become the first Gopher player to have three straight 20-point efforts since Dan Coleman did so during the 2007 non-conference schedule.
Smith Collects 100th Win at Minnesota:
• Tubby Smith led the Gophers to a victory over La Salle in the first round of the NIT Tournament, giving him 100 career wins in Gold Country.
• Smith is now one of eight coaches to reach the 100-win plateau at the University of Minnesota.
• Smith reached the century mark faster than any other coach in program history.
• Smith began the season with a Gopher record of 80-53 and currently stands at 100-67.
• Smith’s winning percentage of .599 is the fourth highest in the history of the program.
Minnesota Coaches with 100 Wins
|L.J. Cooke||250-135 (28 seasons)|
|Clem Haskins*||240-165 (13 seasons)|
|Dave McMillan||196-156 (18 seasons)|
|Jim Dutcher||190-113 (11 seasons)|
|O.B. Cowles||147-93 (11 seasons)|
|Dan Monson||118-106 (7 seasons)|
|John Kundla||110-105 (9 seasons)|
|Tubby Smith||100-67 (5 seasons)|
*includes vacated games
Minnesota Coaches Winning Percentage
|Bill Musselman||.683: 69-32 (4 seasons)|
|L.J. Cooke||.649: 250-135 (28 seasons)|
|Jim Dutcher||.627: 190-113 (11 seasons)|
|Tubby Smith||.599: 100-67 (5 seasons)|
Tubby Smith Trends:
In four-plus seasons under Tubby Smith, Minnesota has followed some pretty significant winning trends:
• 89-11 when leading with 5:00 remaining
• 82-42 when bench outscores opponents bench
• 82-13 when leading at the half
• 58-15 with fewer turnovers than opponent
• 67-6 when scoring 70 points or more
• 66-23 at Williams arena
• 72-29 when outrebounding its opponent
• 71-15 when attempting more free throws than its opponent
Gophers True Freshmen:
• Andre Hollins started the first 10 games of the season before suffering a sprained ankle. He has started 17 games overall, including the last six.
• The Gophers are 12-5 with Hollins in the starting lineup.
• Hollins scored a career-high 25 points in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. He followed that up with 21 in the quarterfinals against Michigan.
• He has scored 20 or more points three times this season, tied with Rodney Williams for the most on the team.
• Hollins is averaging 10.2 points as a starter while shooting .391 of 3-point range and .898 from the charity stripe.
• Joe Coleman has played in all of the Gophers games this season and has started 16 games.
• Coleman scored a career-high 23 points in the win at Penn State, including a 13-of-14 shooting day at the free throw line.
• Coleman is averaging 6.9 points, to go along with 4.5 rebounds a game as a starter.
Construction Update: Gopher Basketball Practice Facility
12/15/2017 - M. Basketball
Check out some of the progress on the Gopher men's & women's basketball practice facilities, part of the University of Minnesota Athletes Village project!
The Murph Factor
12/12/2017 - M. Basketball
A look at how the junior's production through the first 12 games has guided the team this season.
Gophers Outlast Drake, 68-67
12/11/2017 - M. Basketball
Jordan Murphy posted his 12th straight double-double to start the season with 24 points and 18 rebounds, and Minnesota held off Drake 68-67 on Monday night.