|Minnesota (17-11, 5-10) vs. #23/24 Indiana (21-7, 8-7)|
|Date||Sunday, February 26, 2012|
|Time||12:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Williams Arena (14,625)|
|Series Record||Indiana leads 63-88|
|Last Meeting||W, 77-74 (Jan. 12, 2012)|
|Television||ESPN (Dave O'Brien, Dan Dakich)|
|Radio||Learfield/1500 ESPN (Listen Online)|
|(Mike Grimm, Spencer Tollackson)|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Indiana|
|Season Statistics||Minnesota | Indiana|
|Social Media||Facebook | @MNGopherHoops | @CoachTubbySmith|
Series: 152nd meeting (63-88)
Series (Home): 75th meeting (42-32)
Current Streak: W-1
Last Meeting: Jan. 12, 2012 (W, 77-74)
Tubby Smith vs. Indiana: 21st meeting (14-6)
Minnesota vs. Current Big Ten: 707-747
Tubby Smith vs. Current Big Ten: 58-62
Game Day Tid-Bits:
• Minnesota is looking to end its four-game losing streak on Sunday against Indiana at Williams Arena.
• Indiana is the Gophers’ seventh top-25 opponent this season and its fourth in as many home games.
• The Gophers defeated then #7 Hoosiers earlier this season in Bloomington. It was the first loss of the season for the Hoosiers at Assembly Hall. It was also the first Big Ten win for the Gophers.
• Coming into that game, Minnesota had lost its last 43 road games against ranked teams, including games during the vacated seasons (1994-99).
• Welch is leading the Gophers in three-point shooting in his first season on campus. He comes into the Indiana game fifth in the Big ten Conference in three-point shooting at .438 (35-80). His precentage is currently the third-highest single-season performance in Gopher history behind Travarus Bennett (.469: 2001-02) & Blake Hoffarber (.467: 2009-10).
• Gopher senior Ralph Sampson III comes into the game 8 points shy of 1,000 career points. With 1,000 points, Sampson III will become just the fifth Gopher player with 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 150 blocks. The others are Kevin McHale, Randy Breuer, Mychal Thompson and Michael Bauer.
• Minnesota has led the Big Ten Conference in blocked shots during the last three seasons, including three of the top four season block totals in the history of the Gopher program: a program leading 201 in 2008-09, 199 in 2009-10 and 169 last season. Sampson III led the team in blocked shots last season and is currently third all-time in program history with 193 career swats. Minnesota has blocked 143 shots this season for an average of 5.1 per game, tops in Big Ten, led by Rodney Williams with 42. Williams is fourth in the conference with an average of 1.5 bpg. Sampson III is seventh at 1.2 bpg with 29 swats on the season.
A Huge Win for the Program:
• The Gophers were able to secure their first conference win of the season with a 77-74 victory over #7/8 ranked Indiana in Bloomington on Jan. 12.
• It was the first loss of the season for the Hoosiers at Assembly Hall.
• Minnesota had lost its last 43 road games against ranked teams, including vacated games.
• Not including vacated games, that number extends to 63 straight losses on the road against ranked opponents.
• It is the first time the Golden Gopher program has beat a Top 10 team on the road while unranked since defeating #9 Iowa during the 1981 conference season.
• The victory over #7 Indiana is the highest ranked opponent Minnesota has defeated in a true road game since a 1976 win at No. 6 Marquette (that game was later forfeited).
• The victory is the highest ranked Big Ten opponent Minnesota has EVER defeated on the road. The previous high was #8 Illinois in 1954.
Minnesota’s Last Wins over Ranked Teams on Road:
• 2/26/97 at #24 Michigan, 55-54
• 1/8/97 at #15 Indiana, 96-91 (OT)
• 2/12/94 at #21 Wisconsin 109-78
• 1/19/85 at #19 Michigan State, 81-75
Minnesota’s Last Wins over Top 15 Team on Road:
• 1/8/97 at #15 Indiana, 96-91 (OT)
• 2/27/82 at #11 Iowa, 57-55 (3 OT)
Minnesota’s Last Wins over Top 10 Team on Road:
• 1/24/81 at #9 Iowa, 60-48
• 12/21/76 at #6 Marquette, 66-59 (Gophers were #20)
Minnesota’s Last Win over Top 10 Big Ten Team on Road:
• 1/2/54 vs. #8 Illinois, 84-72 (Gophers were #6)
Gophers Against Top 10 Teams:
• With the win earlier this season over Indiana - ranked 7th at the time, Tubby Smith secured his sixth victory over top-10 ranked teams in his four-plus seasons at Minnesota. Smith has a total of 31 career victories over top-10 teams.
• Prior to Smith’s arrival, the Gophers hadn’t defeated a top 10 team since February 9, 2000 when Minnesota beat No. 9 Indiana 77-75.
• The win over No. 8 Purdue on Jan. 13, 2011 at Williams arena was Minnesota’s fifth victory over a top 10 ranked team under Smith.
• The Gophers defeated No. 8 North Carolina in the second round of the 2010 Puerto rico Tip-Off on Nov. 19.
• The Gophers beat No. 6 Purdue and No. 10 Butler during the 2009-10 season and No. 9 Louisville during the 2008-9 season.
Sampson III & the Gopher Record Books:
Trevor Mbakwe had been the talk of the Gophers entering the season but the other senior co-captain, Ralph Sampson III, will more than likely finish his Minnesota career as one of the best big men in program history.
Sampson III comes into the Indiana game eight points shy of 1,000 for his career. With that he will become just the fifth player to finish his Gopher career with 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 150 blocks (Kevin McHale, Randy Breuer, Mychal Thompson and Michael Bauer).
Sampson III Career Numbers
• 122 career games played (110 starts) - 10th All-Time
• 992 career points (8.2 average)
• 615 career rebounds (5.1 average)
• 195 career blocks (1.6 average) - third-most in Gopher History
Pitino Blog: Scheduling Thoughts
3/12/2018 - M. Basketball
After the March Madness brackets were announced Sunday night, the Gophers head coach dives deep into philosophies on building a tournament resume.
Pitino Blog: Post-Season
3/6/2018 - M. Basketball
The head coach opens up on the good, the bad, and the future heading into the offseason.
2019 Final Four Ticket Lottery Now Open
3/5/2018 - M. Basketball
Fans have the opportunity to reserve their tickets for next year's national semifinals and championship game at U.S. Bank Stadium.