Jan. 18, 2014
|Minnesota (14-4, 3-2) at #14/16 Iowa (14-3, 3-1)|
|Date / Time||Sunday, January 19 | Noon|
|Location||Carver-Hawkeye Arena | Iowa City, Iowa|
|Radio||1500 ESPN | Gopher Radio Network|
|Free Audio||Click Here|
|Official Sites||Minnesota | Iowa|
|Social Media||@GopherBBall | Facebook|
Date: Sunday, January 19, 2014
Time: 12:00 p.m. CT
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Arena: Carver-Hawkeye Arena (15,400)
TV: BTN – Eric Collins (Play-by-Play); Shon Morris (Analyst)
Radio: Learfield/1500 ESPN Twin Cities – Mike Grimm (Play-by-Play); Spencer Tollackson (Analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 91/XM 91
Series: 181st meeting (96-84)
Series (Away): 88th meeting (38-49)
Current Streak: L-1
Richard Pitino vs. Iowa: First meeting
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 720-763
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 3-2
GAME DAY TID-BITS
• Minnesota hits the road on Sunday, continuing a stretch of Big Ten games against ranked opponents as the Gophers visit the University of Iowa.
• The Gophers are 3-2 in Big Ten action, coming on the heels of an upset of No. 11-ranked Ohio State at Williams Arena on Thursday night.
• Iowa has taken victories in three of the last four meetings with the Gophers, ending a stretch where Minnesota won six straight in the series between the long-time rivals.
• Sunday’s game is the fourth this year against a nationally-ranked opponent for the Gophers. Since last season, the Gophers are 6-8 against Top-25 opponents.
• Minnesota leads the league in steals per game (8.4) and free throw percentage (.755), while ranking fourth in three-pointers made per game (7.7), assists (14.4) and rebounding margin (+3.7)
• Minnesota’s 3-point shooting effort against the Boilermakers on Jan. 5 was its best of the season, as the Gophers connected on 11-of-24 attempts, a season-best 45.8 percent mark and tying a season-high for made treys.
• Junior center Elliott Eliason was named the team’s fourth captain on Wednesday, joining seniors Maverick Ahanmisi and Austin Hollins and junior Andre Hollins. Eliason has been on a tear, leading all B1G players in rebounding (10.6) in conference games, and he picked up his sixth career and season double-double on Thursday, chipping in a game-high 13 rebounds along with 12 points in the win over the Buckeyes. Eliason is tied for the conference lead with six double-doubles this season.
• Two of the Gophers’ transfers, guards DeAndre Mathieu and Malik Smith, have played integral roles in the team’s success this season. In fact, behind top scorer Andre Hollins, Mathieu and Smith lead the team in scoring in B1G games, averaging 11.4 and 10.4 points per game. Smith is the team and conference’s top free-throw shooter (.878) while Mathieu leads the Gophers in assists (79) and steals (35).
2016-17 Men’s Basketball Schedule Announced
The Gophers 2016-17 schedule was unveiled Thursday in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference schedule announcement.
Gophers on BTN Four Times in Non-Conference Play
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will play four games during non-conference competition that will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.
King Signs Professional Contract in Finland
Joey King has signed a professional contract with Joensuun Kataja in Finland for the upcoming season.