Jan. 10, 2014
|Minnesota (13-3, 2-1) at #5/4 Michigan State (14-1, 3-0)|
|Date / Time||Saturday, January 11 | 1:15 p.m.|
|Location||Breslin Center | East Lansing, Mich.|
|Radio||1500 ESPN | Gopher Radio Network|
|Free Audio||Click Here|
|Official Sites||Minnesota | Michigan State|
|Social Media||@GopherBBall | Facebook|
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014
Time: 1:15 p.m. CT
Location: East Lansing, Mich.
Arena: Bryce Jordan Center (14,797)
TV: BTN – Eric Collins (Play-by-Play); Jim Jackson (Analyst)
Radio: Learfield/1500 ESPN Twin Cities – Mike Grimm (Play-by-Play); Spencer Tollackson (Analyst)
Satellite Radio: XM 85
Series: 112th meeting (55-56)
Series (Away): 56th meeting (20-35)
Current Streak: L-1
Richard Pitino vs. Michigan State: First meeting
Minnesota vs. Big Ten: 719-762
Richard Pitino vs. Big Ten: 2-1
GAME DAY TID-BITS
• Minnesota continues its first Big Ten road trip of the season, facing #5/4 Michigan State on Saturday.
• The Gophers are 2-0 in true road games this season, following Wednesday’s 68-65 victory at Penn State.
• Minnesota moved back to the win column at home, closing out the seven-game homestand on Sunday with an 82-79 win over Purdue. It was the Gophers’ first victory over the Boilermakers since 2011.
• Saturday’s game is the second this year against a nationally-ranked opponent for the Gophers. Since last season, the Gophers are 5-7 against Top-25 opponents, including a 1-3 mark against top-5 ranked squads.
• The Gophers will look to win their third-straight Big Ten game against MSU Saturday, which would mark the fourth straight year Minnesota has won three in a row in conference play.
• Minnesota leads the league in steals per game (8.4) and free throw percentage (.753), while ranking fourth in assists (14.6) and turnover margin (+2.5).
• Last Thursday’s loss to the Wolverines dropped the Gophers’ record in Big Ten openers to 11-17 since the 1980-81 season (not counting vacated years.)
• Minnesota’s 3-point shooting effort against the Boilermakers’ was its best of the season, as the Gophers connected on 11-of-24 attempts, a season-best 45.8 percent mark and tying a season-high for made treys.
• Junior center Elliott Eliason has played well of late, as the Chadron, Neb., native posted his fourth double-double of the season and his career (10 pts., 10 rbs.) while blocking two shots and dishing an assist against Michigan. He added eight points, seven rebounds, and six blocks (one shy of his career high) against Purdue, and a 12-rebound, 11-point, four-block outing at Penn State on Wednesday.
• Before this year, the Golden Gopher program had not seen a pair of players reach the 1,000-point plateau in the same season since the trio of Randy Carter, Voshon Lenard and Arriel McDonald did so during the 1993-94 season.
Gopher MBB Media Day Recap
Catch some of the sights and sounds from Tuesday's media availability at Williams Arena.
Gophers to Host Media Day Tuesday
The Minnesota men's basketball team will hold its annual media day this Tuesday at Williams Arena.
Homecoming Tip-Off Draws Crowd
Minnesota's men's and women's basketball teams gave fans a season preview with an open scrimmage and autograph session.