Dec. 31, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#9/13 Minnesota (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten) 76, #18/18 Michigan State (11-3, 0-1) 63
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 31, 2012
• Today’s game marked the 110th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Spartans, with the all-time series now tied, 55-55.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 4-15 against MSU.
• The Golden Gophers snapped a four-game losing streak versus the Spartans.
• The victory was Minnesota’s first in the regular season versus MSU since defeating the Spartans, 69-55, on Feb. 11, 2006.
• Minnesota outscored the Spartans, 22-4, over the final 9:22 to rally from a five-point deficit.
• Michigan State made just 2-of-10 free throws in the loss.
• The Gophers made 30-of-53 (.566) field goals, which was their second-best shooting performance this season. Minnesota made 33-of-58 (.569) attempts in its 88-64 win versus South Dakota State on Dec. 4.
• Minnesota held a 39-32 edge in rebounding, and improved to 11-1 this season when it out-rebounds its opponents. It marked just the second time this season (Kansas) that MSU lost the rebounding battle.
• The Gophers ended a five-game losing streak at home versus the Spartans, but improved to 33-20 versus MSU in Minneapolis.
• Minnesota improved to 710-750 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten.
• Smith owns a mark of 61-65 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 116-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 503-214 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 75-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 39-38 at intermission and is now 97-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers improved to 81-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 104-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Sophomore forward Elliott Eliason came off the bench to tie for second on the team with six rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins had game-high totals of 22 points and six assists, while also tying his career-high with a pair of blocked shots.
• The 22-point effort for Andre Hollins was his ninth double-figure output this season (21st career). It was his third game this season (ninth career) with 20 or more points.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins finished with 12 points to reach double-digits for the eighth time this season and the 32nd time in his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe made his second-straight start and recorded his third double-double this season (26th career) with 11 points and a game-best 12 rebounds.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. had 15 points, six boards and three steals. It was Williams’ 12th double-figure scoring effort this season and the 49th for his career.
• Williams now has 996 points for his career and needs just four points during Sunday’s game versus Northwestern to become the 38th Minnesota player to reach 1,000 career points.
2016-17 Men’s Basketball Schedule Announced
The Gophers 2016-17 schedule was unveiled Thursday in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference schedule announcement.
Gophers on BTN Four Times in Non-Conference Play
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will play four games during non-conference competition that will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.
King Signs Professional Contract in Finland
Joey King has signed a professional contract with Joensuun Kataja in Finland for the upcoming season.