Dec. 31, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#9/13 Minnesota (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten) 76, #18/18 Michigan State (11-3, 0-1) 63
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 31, 2012
• Today’s game marked the 110th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Spartans, with the all-time series now tied, 55-55.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 4-15 against MSU.
• The Golden Gophers snapped a four-game losing streak versus the Spartans.
• The victory was Minnesota’s first in the regular season versus MSU since defeating the Spartans, 69-55, on Feb. 11, 2006.
• Minnesota outscored the Spartans, 22-4, over the final 9:22 to rally from a five-point deficit.
• Michigan State made just 2-of-10 free throws in the loss.
• The Gophers made 30-of-53 (.566) field goals, which was their second-best shooting performance this season. Minnesota made 33-of-58 (.569) attempts in its 88-64 win versus South Dakota State on Dec. 4.
• Minnesota held a 39-32 edge in rebounding, and improved to 11-1 this season when it out-rebounds its opponents. It marked just the second time this season (Kansas) that MSU lost the rebounding battle.
• The Gophers ended a five-game losing streak at home versus the Spartans, but improved to 33-20 versus MSU in Minneapolis.
• Minnesota improved to 710-750 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten.
• Smith owns a mark of 61-65 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 116-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 503-214 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 75-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 39-38 at intermission and is now 97-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers improved to 81-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 104-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Sophomore forward Elliott Eliason came off the bench to tie for second on the team with six rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins had game-high totals of 22 points and six assists, while also tying his career-high with a pair of blocked shots.
• The 22-point effort for Andre Hollins was his ninth double-figure output this season (21st career). It was his third game this season (ninth career) with 20 or more points.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins finished with 12 points to reach double-digits for the eighth time this season and the 32nd time in his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe made his second-straight start and recorded his third double-double this season (26th career) with 11 points and a game-best 12 rebounds.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. had 15 points, six boards and three steals. It was Williams’ 12th double-figure scoring effort this season and the 49th for his career.
• Williams now has 996 points for his career and needs just four points during Sunday’s game versus Northwestern to become the 38th Minnesota player to reach 1,000 career points.
Gophers Full Television Schedule Announced
Minnesota's full television schedule and game time information has been announced.
BTN Game Times Announced
The Big Ten Network announced its broadcast schedule, including game times, for the upcoming men's basketball season.
Pitino Blog: Back to School
Head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino checks in as the new school year is underway.