Dec. 11, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#13/16 Minnesota (11-1) 70, North Dakota State (8-3) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 11, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the 28th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Bison, with Minnesota holding a commanding 27-1 lead in the series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 5-0 against NDSU.
• Minnesota improved to 62-1 all-time versus current members of the Summit League. The lone loss was a 33-29 setback versus North Dakota State on Dec. 12, 1936.
• Smith owns a mark of 13-0 all-time versus Summit League members.
• Tubby Smith is now 114-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 501-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 21st straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 47-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 73-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 37-26 at intermission and is now 95-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers improved to 79-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 102-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his second double-double this season, and the 25th of his career, by grabbing a career-high 18 rebounds and adding 14 points.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. scored a season-high 19 points to go along with six rebounds and three steals. It was Williams’ 11th double-digit scoring game this season and the 48th of his career.
• Freshman guard Wally Ellenson made his first career appearance for the Gophers. Ellenson played four minutes and scored one point.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored 11 points, marking the eighth double-figure scoring output for him this season and the 20th of his career. Hollins added a team-high six assists on his 20th birthday.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career-high with two steals.
• Senior guard Julian Welch tied his season-high with seven points.
Thomas Named VP at Minnesota Timberwolves/Lynx
The Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx have announced the hiring of John Thomas to the newly-created position of Vice President of Community Engagement.
Gophers, Friars To Battle In Gavitt Tipoff Games
Minnesota will take part in the Gavitt Tipoff Games for the second straight year, as the matchups between the Big Ten and BIG EAST Conferences were announced.
Fitzgerald Granted a Sixth-Year of Eligibility
University of Minnesota forward Davonte Fitzgerald was granted a sixth-year of eligibility today from the NCAA.