Dec. 11, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#13/16 Minnesota (11-1) 70, North Dakota State (8-3) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 11, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the 28th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Bison, with Minnesota holding a commanding 27-1 lead in the series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 5-0 against NDSU.
• Minnesota improved to 62-1 all-time versus current members of the Summit League. The lone loss was a 33-29 setback versus North Dakota State on Dec. 12, 1936.
• Smith owns a mark of 13-0 all-time versus Summit League members.
• Tubby Smith is now 114-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 501-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 21st straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 47-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 73-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 37-26 at intermission and is now 95-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers improved to 79-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 102-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his second double-double this season, and the 25th of his career, by grabbing a career-high 18 rebounds and adding 14 points.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. scored a season-high 19 points to go along with six rebounds and three steals. It was Williams’ 11th double-digit scoring game this season and the 48th of his career.
• Freshman guard Wally Ellenson made his first career appearance for the Gophers. Ellenson played four minutes and scored one point.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored 11 points, marking the eighth double-figure scoring output for him this season and the 20th of his career. Hollins added a team-high six assists on his 20th birthday.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career-high with two steals.
• Senior guard Julian Welch tied his season-high with seven points.
Mason, Murphy lead Minnesota over Penn State 81-71
Nate Mason had 16 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists, and Jordan Murphy added 16 points and 16 rebounds for the Minnesota Gophers in an 81-71 win over Penn State on Saturday.
Preview: Gophers vs. Penn State
Minnesota returns home for its final homestand of the year and final game in the month of February.
Traffic Advisory: Busy Weekend on Campus
Fans are advised to plan extra time for travel and parking on campus this Friday and Saturday due to multiple events taking place.