Dec. 11, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#13/16 Minnesota (11-1) 70, North Dakota State (8-3) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 11, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the 28th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Bison, with Minnesota holding a commanding 27-1 lead in the series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 5-0 against NDSU.
• Minnesota improved to 62-1 all-time versus current members of the Summit League. The lone loss was a 33-29 setback versus North Dakota State on Dec. 12, 1936.
• Smith owns a mark of 13-0 all-time versus Summit League members.
• Tubby Smith is now 114-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 501-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 21st straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 47-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 73-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 37-26 at intermission and is now 95-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers improved to 79-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 102-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his second double-double this season, and the 25th of his career, by grabbing a career-high 18 rebounds and adding 14 points.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. scored a season-high 19 points to go along with six rebounds and three steals. It was Williams’ 11th double-digit scoring game this season and the 48th of his career.
• Freshman guard Wally Ellenson made his first career appearance for the Gophers. Ellenson played four minutes and scored one point.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored 11 points, marking the eighth double-figure scoring output for him this season and the 20th of his career. Hollins added a team-high six assists on his 20th birthday.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career-high with two steals.
• Senior guard Julian Welch tied his season-high with seven points.
Gophers to Travel to Florida State
Minnesota will face the Seminoles on Monday, November 28 in Tallahassee at the Tucker Center.
Senior Spotlight: Joey King
Forward Joey King discusses his plans for the future and looking back on his time as a Gopher.
Gophers Reflect on Mother's Day
Heading into Mother’s Day, GopherSports.com caught up with several men’s basketball players to ask them about the influence their mom has had on their career, life and more.