Dec. 4, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#14/21 Minnesota (9-1) 88, South Dakota State (6-3) 64
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 4, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the 16th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Jackrabbits, with Minnesota holding a commanding 16-0 lead in the series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 7-0 against SDSU.
• Minnesota improved to 61-1 all-time versus current members of the Summit League. The lone loss was a 33-29 setback versus North Dakota State on Dec. 12, 1936.
• Smith owns a mark of 12-0 all-time versus Summit League members.
• Tubby Smith is now 112-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 499-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 20th straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 46-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 72-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 48-24 at intermission and is now 93-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Tonight’s 24-point halftime lead marked the third time this season where the Gophers led by 20 or more points at the intermission – vs. American (+30), vs. Toledo (+26).
• The Gophers improved to 77-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 100-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman reached double figures for the fourth straight game and 6th time this season, finishing with 15 points to go along with a season-best seven rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins made a career-high six three-point field goals in seven attempts, all in the first half. Hollins’ previous best had been five treys, which he had accomplished three times, most recently during his 41-point effort versus Memphis on Nov. 23.
• Andre Hollins’ game-high 22 points was his sixth double-digit scoring output this season and the 18th of his career. He has scored 20 or more points twice this season, and seven times for his career.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 17 points to reach double figures for the seventh time this season (31st career). Hollins also tied his season-high with five assists and added a team-best four steals.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his season-high with six points and tied his career-high with two steals.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds in just 14 minutes. It marked his third game this season (27th career) with double-figure rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Kendal Shell established new career-highs for points (4) and field goals made (2), while tying his career-best with an assist.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. was limited to two points and a pair of rebounds in 29 minutes, but blocked a season-high four shots.
Minnesota Holds off Nebraska-Omaha ,93-90
Joey King scored 18 points and Bakary Konate added 14 with 10 rebounds and Minnesota held off Nebraska-Omaha 93-90 on Friday.
Preview: Gophers vs. Omaha
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team returns to the Barn to begin a four-game homestand Friday against Omaha.
Minnesota Falls Short to Texas Tech, 81-68
Carlos Morris and Joey King each scored 15 points to lead the Gophers (3-2).