Dec. 4, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#14/21 Minnesota (9-1) 88, South Dakota State (6-3) 64
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 4, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the 16th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Jackrabbits, with Minnesota holding a commanding 16-0 lead in the series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 7-0 against SDSU.
• Minnesota improved to 61-1 all-time versus current members of the Summit League. The lone loss was a 33-29 setback versus North Dakota State on Dec. 12, 1936.
• Smith owns a mark of 12-0 all-time versus Summit League members.
• Tubby Smith is now 112-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 499-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 20th straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 46-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 72-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 48-24 at intermission and is now 93-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Tonight’s 24-point halftime lead marked the third time this season where the Gophers led by 20 or more points at the intermission – vs. American (+30), vs. Toledo (+26).
• The Gophers improved to 77-7 under Tubby Smith when scoring 70 or more points.
• Minnesota is 100-11 during the Tubby Smith era while holding a lead with 5:00 remaining.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman reached double figures for the fourth straight game and 6th time this season, finishing with 15 points to go along with a season-best seven rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins made a career-high six three-point field goals in seven attempts, all in the first half. Hollins’ previous best had been five treys, which he had accomplished three times, most recently during his 41-point effort versus Memphis on Nov. 23.
• Andre Hollins’ game-high 22 points was his sixth double-digit scoring output this season and the 18th of his career. He has scored 20 or more points twice this season, and seven times for his career.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 17 points to reach double figures for the seventh time this season (31st career). Hollins also tied his season-high with five assists and added a team-best four steals.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his season-high with six points and tied his career-high with two steals.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds in just 14 minutes. It marked his third game this season (27th career) with double-figure rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Kendal Shell established new career-highs for points (4) and field goals made (2), while tying his career-best with an assist.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. was limited to two points and a pair of rebounds in 29 minutes, but blocked a season-high four shots.
Gophers Full Television Schedule Announced
Minnesota's full television schedule and game time information has been announced.
BTN Game Times Announced
The Big Ten Network announced its broadcast schedule, including game times, for the upcoming men's basketball season.
Pitino Blog: Back to School
Head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino checks in as the new school year is underway.