Dec. 1, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#21 Minnesota (8-1) 87, North Florida (3-5) 59
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
December 1, 2012
• Today’s game marked the first meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Ospreys.
• It also was Tubby Smith’s first career game coaching against North Florida.
• Minnesota improved to 6-0 all-time versus current members of the Atlantic Sun Conference.
• Smith also owns a mark of 6-0 all-time versus Atlantic Sun members.
• Tubby Smith is now 111-69 as the head coach at Minnesota and 498-214 for his career.
• The win was Minnesota’s 19th straight at home against non-conference foes. Overall, the Gophers are 45-1 in non-conference home games under Tubby Smith.
• Minnesota is now 71-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 37-27 at intermission and is now 92-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. reached double-figures for the ninth time this season (46th career) with a team-high 14 points. Williams also led the Gophers with eight rebounds and tied for team honors with four assists.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman scored 11 points to reach double figures for the third straight game and the fifth time this season (15th career). Coleman also tied his career-high with four assists.
• Sophomore forward Elliott Eliason had a career-high three steals to go along with a season-best six points. Eliason added four boards and two blocks.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins tied his season-high with three steals.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins grabbed six rebounds for the second time this season, which is just one off his career-high. He scored 12 points to reach double figures for the sixth time this season and the 30th time in his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe had 11 points and four rebounds in the first half. He finished with 11 points, six boards and a season-best three blocked shots. It was the third time this season that Mbakwe has scored in double-digits and the 35th time in his career.
• Sophomore forward Oto Osenieks made a career-high five free throws and had a season-best nine points, one off his career-best.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker scored a season-high nine points, just missing his career-best total of 10 points.
Northern Illinois Game to Air Live on BTN
Sunday’s men’s basketball game against Northern Illinois will now be televised live on BTN.
Minnesota Downs NJIT, 74-68
Akeem Springs came off the bench to score 19 points and Nate Mason added 18 for Minnesota, which came from behind in the second half and escaped with a 74-68 victory against NJIT.
Preview: Gophers vs. NJIT
The men's basketball team returns to the Barn Tuesday to begin a six-game December homestand.