Nov. 21, 2011
MINNESOTA MEN’S BASKETBALL
Minnesota (4-0) 85, Mount St. Mary’s (1-3) 56
• The Golden Gophers and Mountaineers did play a game during the 1995-96 season, with Minnesota winning by a score of 87-62, but that result has since been vacated by the Gophers.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith had never previously faced a team from the Northeast Conference prior to tonight’s meeting with The Mountaineers.
• Twelve of the 13 Gophers players were able to score in the contest, with five players reaching double-figures.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds, just missing his seventh consecutive point-rebound double-double.
• Redshirt freshman center Elliott Eliason made his first career start for the Gophers, replacing the injured Sampson in the lineup. Eliason finished with four points, four rebounds, and a pair of steals.
• Junior forward Rodney Williams had five field goals, all on dunks, and 12 points at the half. Williams entered tonight’s game with just two dunks this season. He finished with 12 points on 5-of-6 field goals.
• Freshman guard Joe Coleman recorded his first career double-figure scoring game, making 4-of-6 field goals and 2-of-3 free throws for 10 points to go along with four rebounds in 18 minutes.
• Junior forward Andre Ingram had five points and five rebounds, both career-highs.
• Junior guard Julian Welch had a career-best four assists.
• Freshman forward Oto Osenieks tallied seven points and career-highs of three steals and three blocked shots.
• Sophomore forward Chris Halvorsen scored his first career point for the Gophers.