Nov. 21, 2011
MINNESOTA MEN’S BASKETBALL
Minnesota (4-0) 85, Mount St. Mary’s (1-3) 56
Williams Arena (14,625) • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 21, 2011 • Attendance: 10,487
• Tonight’s game was the first meeting between Minnesota and Mount St. Mary’s. The Gophers improved to 7-0 against members of the Northeast Conference.
• The Golden Gophers and Mountaineers did play a game during the 1995-96 season, with Minnesota winning by a score of 87-62, but that result has since been vacated by the Gophers.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith had never previously faced a team from the Northeast Conference prior to tonight’s meeting with The Mountaineers.
• Minnesota recorded a win of 25+ points for the first time since defeating sixth-ranked Purdue, 69-42, in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament on March 13, 2010.
• Twelve of the 13 Gophers players were able to score in the contest, with five players reaching double-figures.
• Senior forward/center Ralph Sampson III did not play due to an ankle injury. It marked just the third career game Sampson had missed since the start of his freshman season in 2008-09.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe finished with 10 points and a game-high nine rebounds, just missing his seventh consecutive point-rebound double-double.
• Redshirt freshman center Elliott Eliason made his first career start for the Gophers, replacing the injured Sampson in the lineup. Eliason finished with four points, four rebounds, and a pair of steals.
• Junior forward Rodney Williams had five field goals, all on dunks, and 12 points at the half. Williams entered tonight’s game with just two dunks this season. He finished with 12 points on 5-of-6 field goals.
• Freshman guard Joe Coleman recorded his first career double-figure scoring game, making 4-of-6 field goals and 2-of-3 free throws for 10 points to go along with four rebounds in 18 minutes.
• Junior forward Andre Ingram had five points and five rebounds, both career-highs.
• Junior guard Julian Welch had a career-best four assists.
• Freshman forward Oto Osenieks tallied seven points and career-highs of three steals and three blocked shots.
• Sophomore forward Chris Halvorsen scored his first career point for the Gophers.
Mason Named to Cousy Award Watch List
Nate Mason has been selected among the top collegiate point guards heading into the 2017-18 season.
Barclays Center Classic Tickets On Sale Friday
Fans can secure their seats for the two-game Barclays Center Classic next month in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Big Ten Super Saturday Tickets on Sale This Week
The Gopher men's basketball and men's hockey programs will compete at legendary Madison Square Garden.