Nov. 18, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (4-0) 72, Richmond (3-1) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 18, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the second meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Spiders, with the series now tied, 1-1. Richmond defeated the Gophers, 67-66, on March 18, 2002 in an NIT game.
• It was Tubby Smith’s first career game coaching against Richmond.
• Minnesota improved to 17-10 all-time versus current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 10-5 all-time versus Atlantic 10 members.
• Minnesota trailed for the first time this season when the Spiders opened the game with a three-pointer.
• Minnesota closed the half on an 8-2 run to turn a 27-22 deficit into a 30-29 advantage at intermission.
• Tubby Smith is now 107-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 494-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 70-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 30-29 at intermission and is now 89-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. led the Gophers with 15 points. Williams has scored in double-figures all four games this season and 41 times during his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe just missed his 24th career double-double, finishing with season-highs of nine points and 12 rebounds. It’s the most rebounds for Mbakwe since he pulled down 12 versus DePaul on Nov. 24, 2011.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins reached double figures for the second consecutive game with a season-high 14 points. Hollins also tied his career-high with seven assists and blocked a career-high two shots.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins scored 13 points and has had double figures all four games this season and 28 times during his career.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman had two three-pointers during his entire freshman season, and already has two through the first four games this year.