Nov. 18, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (4-0) 72, Richmond (3-1) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 18, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the second meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Spiders, with the series now tied, 1-1. Richmond defeated the Gophers, 67-66, on March 18, 2002 in an NIT game.
• It was Tubby Smith’s first career game coaching against Richmond.
• Minnesota improved to 17-10 all-time versus current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 10-5 all-time versus Atlantic 10 members.
• Minnesota trailed for the first time this season when the Spiders opened the game with a three-pointer.
• Minnesota closed the half on an 8-2 run to turn a 27-22 deficit into a 30-29 advantage at intermission.
• Tubby Smith is now 107-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 494-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 70-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 30-29 at intermission and is now 89-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. led the Gophers with 15 points. Williams has scored in double-figures all four games this season and 41 times during his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe just missed his 24th career double-double, finishing with season-highs of nine points and 12 rebounds. It’s the most rebounds for Mbakwe since he pulled down 12 versus DePaul on Nov. 24, 2011.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins reached double figures for the second consecutive game with a season-high 14 points. Hollins also tied his career-high with seven assists and blocked a career-high two shots.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins scored 13 points and has had double figures all four games this season and 28 times during his career.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman had two three-pointers during his entire freshman season, and already has two through the first four games this year.
Athletes Village Progress Report
Associate athletics director Scott Ellison gives an update on the Gophers' Athletes Village project, set to be completed during the winter of 2017-18.
Gophers Add Transfer Center Matz Stockman
Head coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward/center Matz Stockman, who will transfer to the Minnesota men’s basketball program.
Pitino Blog: Post-Season
Head coach Richard Pitino gives an update and state of the Gophers following a record-breaking 2016-17 season.