Nov. 18, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (4-0) 72, Richmond (3-1) 57
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 18, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the second meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Spiders, with the series now tied, 1-1. Richmond defeated the Gophers, 67-66, on March 18, 2002 in an NIT game.
• It was Tubby Smith’s first career game coaching against Richmond.
• Minnesota improved to 17-10 all-time versus current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 10-5 all-time versus Atlantic 10 members.
• Minnesota trailed for the first time this season when the Spiders opened the game with a three-pointer.
• Minnesota closed the half on an 8-2 run to turn a 27-22 deficit into a 30-29 advantage at intermission.
• Tubby Smith is now 107-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 494-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 70-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 30-29 at intermission and is now 89-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. led the Gophers with 15 points. Williams has scored in double-figures all four games this season and 41 times during his career.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe just missed his 24th career double-double, finishing with season-highs of nine points and 12 rebounds. It’s the most rebounds for Mbakwe since he pulled down 12 versus DePaul on Nov. 24, 2011.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins reached double figures for the second consecutive game with a season-high 14 points. Hollins also tied his career-high with seven assists and blocked a career-high two shots.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins scored 13 points and has had double figures all four games this season and 28 times during his career.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman had two three-pointers during his entire freshman season, and already has two through the first four games this year.
Gophers Looking to Continue February Momentum
The men's basketball team finished the month of February 7-0 as they set their sights on the final two regular season games and postseason.
Balanced Effort Leads Gophers Over Penn State
Nate Mason had 16 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists, and Jordan Murphy added 16 points and 16 rebounds for the Minnesota Gophers in an 81-71 win over Penn State on Saturday.
Preview: Gophers vs. Penn State
Minnesota returns home for its final homestand of the year and final game in the month of February.