Nov. 15, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (3-0) 72, Tennessee State (0-3) 43
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 15, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the first-ever meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Tigers.
• It was Tubby Smith’s third career game coaching against TSU, and he improved to 3-0.
• Minnesota improved to 10-1 all-time versus current members of the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 17-0 all-time versus OVC members.
• Minnesota opened its third-straight game with a large lead, as it jumped out to a 9-0 edge over the first 4:33. The Gophers opened with a 15-0 lead versus American, and took a 12-0 lead versus Toledo.
• Minnesota closed the half on a 14-4 run to turn a 25-17 lead into a 39-21 advantage at intermission.
• Tubby Smith is now 106-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 493-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 69-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 39-21 at intermission and is now 88-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. made 7-of-9 field goals to finish with 15 points. For the season, Williams has made 19-of-24 field goals.
• Five of Williams’ field goals were dunks to give him a total of seven slams this season and 115 for his career.
• Williams has reached double figures all three games this season and 40 times in his career.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored all 13 of his season-high point total in the first half and added a game-high five assists.
• It was the 14th career double-figure scoring game for Andre Hollins.
• Andre Hollins also tied his career-high by blocking a shot. It’s the sixth time he’s had a block.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 12 points, marking his third game in double figures this season and the 27th time in his career.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker tallied a season-high seven points and tied his career-best with six boards. Walker also had six caroms versus Toledo, and has reached that total three times.
• Senior guard Julians Welch had three points, three rebounds, three assists, and a pair of steals.
• Sophomore forward Oto Osenieks grabbed a season-high five rebounds to go with three points.
• Sophomore guard Kendal Shell appeared in three straight games for the first time in his career and recorded his first career field goal to score his first points as a Gopher.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career-high with a pair of blocked shots. Ingram also had two blocks versus Central Michigan on Dec. 13, 2011.
Humphries Re-Signs with Atlanta Hawks
Former Gopher Kris Humphries recently re-upped with the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, the team announced late last week.
Haugh Earns Scholarship for 2016-17
Richard Pitino announced Friday that rising senior Darin Haugh has been awarded a full scholarship for the 2016-17 academic year.
Pitino Blog: First Practice Update
Head coach Richard Pitino updates fans after the Gophers first summer practice this week.