Nov. 15, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (3-0) 72, Tennessee State (0-3) 43
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 15, 2012
• Tonight’s game marked the first-ever meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Tigers.
• It was Tubby Smith’s third career game coaching against TSU, and he improved to 3-0.
• Minnesota improved to 10-1 all-time versus current members of the Ohio Valley Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 17-0 all-time versus OVC members.
• Minnesota opened its third-straight game with a large lead, as it jumped out to a 9-0 edge over the first 4:33. The Gophers opened with a 15-0 lead versus American, and took a 12-0 lead versus Toledo.
• Minnesota closed the half on a 14-4 run to turn a 25-17 lead into a 39-21 advantage at intermission.
• Tubby Smith is now 106-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 493-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 69-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 39-21 at intermission and is now 88-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. made 7-of-9 field goals to finish with 15 points. For the season, Williams has made 19-of-24 field goals.
• Five of Williams’ field goals were dunks to give him a total of seven slams this season and 115 for his career.
• Williams has reached double figures all three games this season and 40 times in his career.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored all 13 of his season-high point total in the first half and added a game-high five assists.
• It was the 14th career double-figure scoring game for Andre Hollins.
• Andre Hollins also tied his career-high by blocking a shot. It’s the sixth time he’s had a block.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 12 points, marking his third game in double figures this season and the 27th time in his career.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker tallied a season-high seven points and tied his career-best with six boards. Walker also had six caroms versus Toledo, and has reached that total three times.
• Senior guard Julians Welch had three points, three rebounds, three assists, and a pair of steals.
• Sophomore forward Oto Osenieks grabbed a season-high five rebounds to go with three points.
• Sophomore guard Kendal Shell appeared in three straight games for the first time in his career and recorded his first career field goal to score his first points as a Gopher.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career-high with a pair of blocked shots. Ingram also had two blocks versus Central Michigan on Dec. 13, 2011.
Gophers to Host St. John's in Gavitt Games
The Gophers will welcome St. John’s (N.Y.) to Williams Arena, hosting the Red Storm on Friday, November 18, 2016.
Gophers Add Springs for 2016-17 Season
University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of guard Akeem Springs, who will transfer from Milwaukee for the upcoming season.
Watch Raise the Barn: Looking Ahead
In the final episode of Raise the Barn, the prospects for 2016-17 are discussed.