Nov. 14, 2011
MINNESOTA MEN’S BASKETBALL
Minnesota (2-0) 71, South Dakota State (1-1) 55
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
Monday, November 14, 2011 • Attendance: 10,460
• Tonight’s game was the 16th all-time meeting between the Golden Gophers and the Jackrabbits, with Minnesota holding a perfect 16-0 mark. Every game in the series has taken place at Williams Arena.
• Minnesota and South Dakota State have now played in each of the past seven seasons.
• The Gophers are 62-1 all-time versus teams from the Summit League, and head coach Tubby Smith improved to 15-0 versus Summit League opponents.
• Minnesota was outrebounded, 23-13, in the first half and wound up with a 37-33 deficit on the boards. SDSU also outrebounded the Gophers last season, 40-39.
• The Gophers had zero offensive rebounds in the first half, and finished with six for the game.
• Minnesota made just 11-of-21 (.524) free throws, but South Dakota State fared exactly the same at the line.
• The Golden Gophers held a two-point halftime lead for the second straight game. Minnesota had a 32-30 lead at the half tonight, and led by a score of 33-31 in Friday’s season-opener versus Bucknell.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his second double-double of the season, and the 21st of his career, with team-high totals of 17 points and 10 rebounds. Mbakwe also added a game-high four blocked shots and had two steals.
• Sophomore guard Chip Armelin led the Gophers with nine points in the first half, which eclipsed his previous career-high of seven points. Armelin didn’t score in the second half, but added three assists and tied his career-high with two steals.
• Redshirt freshman forward Oto Osenieks made his first career three-point attempt and finished with five points in his second career game.
• Sophomore guard Maverick Ahanmisi scored a career-high eight points, all of which came in the second half.
• Junior forward Rodney Williams led the Gophers with four assists and three steals, while also adding seven points, four rebounds, and a pair of blocked shots.
Mason Named to Cousy Award Watch List
Nate Mason has been selected among the top collegiate point guards heading into the 2017-18 season.
Barclays Center Classic Tickets On Sale Friday
Fans can secure their seats for the two-game Barclays Center Classic next month in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Big Ten Super Saturday Tickets on Sale This Week
The Gopher men's basketball and men's hockey programs will compete at legendary Madison Square Garden.