Nov. 14, 2011
MINNESOTA MEN’S BASKETBALL
Minnesota (2-0) 71, South Dakota State (1-1) 55
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
Monday, November 14, 2011 • Attendance: 10,460
• Tonight’s game was the 16th all-time meeting between the Golden Gophers and the Jackrabbits, with Minnesota holding a perfect 16-0 mark. Every game in the series has taken place at Williams Arena.
• Minnesota and South Dakota State have now played in each of the past seven seasons.
• The Gophers are 62-1 all-time versus teams from the Summit League, and head coach Tubby Smith improved to 15-0 versus Summit League opponents.
• Minnesota was outrebounded, 23-13, in the first half and wound up with a 37-33 deficit on the boards. SDSU also outrebounded the Gophers last season, 40-39.
• The Gophers had zero offensive rebounds in the first half, and finished with six for the game.
• Minnesota made just 11-of-21 (.524) free throws, but South Dakota State fared exactly the same at the line.
• The Golden Gophers held a two-point halftime lead for the second straight game. Minnesota had a 32-30 lead at the half tonight, and led by a score of 33-31 in Friday’s season-opener versus Bucknell.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his second double-double of the season, and the 21st of his career, with team-high totals of 17 points and 10 rebounds. Mbakwe also added a game-high four blocked shots and had two steals.
• Sophomore guard Chip Armelin led the Gophers with nine points in the first half, which eclipsed his previous career-high of seven points. Armelin didn’t score in the second half, but added three assists and tied his career-high with two steals.
• Redshirt freshman forward Oto Osenieks made his first career three-point attempt and finished with five points in his second career game.
• Sophomore guard Maverick Ahanmisi scored a career-high eight points, all of which came in the second half.
• Junior forward Rodney Williams led the Gophers with four assists and three steals, while also adding seven points, four rebounds, and a pair of blocked shots.
2016-17 Men’s Basketball Schedule Announced
The Gophers 2016-17 schedule was unveiled Thursday in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference schedule announcement.
Gophers on BTN Four Times in Non-Conference Play
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will play four games during non-conference competition that will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.
King Signs Professional Contract in Finland
Joey King has signed a professional contract with Joensuun Kataja in Finland for the upcoming season.