Nov. 12, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (2-0) 82, Toledo (0-2) 56
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 12, 2012
• Tonight’s game was the third meeting between the Gophers and Toledo, with Minnesota now holding a 2-1 lead in the series.
• This was the second game between the schools played in Minneapolis. The Rockets won the first matchup, 83-75, on Dec. 2, 1987.
• Minnesota improved to 21-2 all-time against current members of the Mid-American Conference.
• Head coach Tubby Smith improved to 14-0 all-time against MAC opponents.
• For the second game in a row, the Gophers jumped out to a big lead. Minnesota raced to a 12-0 lead tonight versus the Rockets, and opened with a 15-0 lead on Friday versus American.
• Minnesota held leads of 28 points in the first half and 32 points in the second half.
• The Gophers have yet to trail this season.
• A total of 13 players appeared in the game for the Gophers, with 12 players scoring points.
• Minnesota grabbed 51 rebounds in the game. It’s the first time the Gophers have had more than 50 boards in a game since pulling down 50 versus Purdue at the Big Ten Tournament on March 13, 2010.
• Tubby Smith is now 105-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 492-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 68-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 48-22 at intermission is now 87-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
Individual Player Notes
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman led the team with 15 points. It was his 11th career double-figure scoring game. Coleman added six rebounds and three steals.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. just missed a double-double, finishing with 12 points to go along with team-high totals of eight rebounds and four steals. It was Williams’ 39th career double-figure scoring output.
• Williams was a perfect 5-of-5 from the field, but struggled at the free throw line by going 2-of-6.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe played 14 minutes for the second straight game and had totals of six points, seven boards, two assists, and two blocked shots.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins registered his 26th career double-figure scoring total with 13 points, while also grabbing five rebounds in just 17 minutes.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker tied his career-high by grabbing six rebounds. He previously had six boards versus North Dakota State on Nov. 24, 2010.
• Sophomore center Elliott Eliason recorded a career-high three blocked shots.
• Junior forward Chris Halvorsen made his first career field goal, getting a layup late in the game and drawing a loud ovation from the fans. Halvorsen missed both field goals he attempted last season.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career high by dishing out an assist in a game for the sixth time.
• Sophomore forward Oto Osenieks made a career-best four field goals and tied his career-high with three assists. He finished with eight points.
• Senior guard Julian Welch finished with six points to go along with four rebounds and four assists.
Gophers, Friars To Battle In Gavitt Tipoff Games
Minnesota will take part in the Gavitt Tipoff Games for the second straight year, as the matchups between the Big Ten and BIG EAST Conferences were announced.
Fitzgerald Granted a Sixth-Year of Eligibility
University of Minnesota forward Davonte Fitzgerald was granted a sixth-year of eligibility today from the NCAA.
Season Ticket Holder Stories: Harold Goldfine
Get to know longtime Golden Gopher men's basketball season ticket holder Harold Goldfine.