Nov. 12, 2012
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (2-0) 82, Toledo (0-2) 56
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 12, 2012
• Tonight’s game was the third meeting between the Gophers and Toledo, with Minnesota now holding a 2-1 lead in the series.
• This was the second game between the schools played in Minneapolis. The Rockets won the first matchup, 83-75, on Dec. 2, 1987.
• Minnesota improved to 21-2 all-time against current members of the Mid-American Conference.
• Head coach Tubby Smith improved to 14-0 all-time against MAC opponents.
• For the second game in a row, the Gophers jumped out to a big lead. Minnesota raced to a 12-0 lead tonight versus the Rockets, and opened with a 15-0 lead on Friday versus American.
• Minnesota held leads of 28 points in the first half and 32 points in the second half.
• The Gophers have yet to trail this season.
• A total of 13 players appeared in the game for the Gophers, with 12 players scoring points.
• Minnesota grabbed 51 rebounds in the game. It’s the first time the Gophers have had more than 50 boards in a game since pulling down 50 versus Purdue at the Big Ten Tournament on March 13, 2010.
• Tubby Smith is now 105-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 492-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 68-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 48-22 at intermission is now 87-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
Individual Player Notes
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman led the team with 15 points. It was his 11th career double-figure scoring game. Coleman added six rebounds and three steals.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. just missed a double-double, finishing with 12 points to go along with team-high totals of eight rebounds and four steals. It was Williams’ 39th career double-figure scoring output.
• Williams was a perfect 5-of-5 from the field, but struggled at the free throw line by going 2-of-6.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe played 14 minutes for the second straight game and had totals of six points, seven boards, two assists, and two blocked shots.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins registered his 26th career double-figure scoring total with 13 points, while also grabbing five rebounds in just 17 minutes.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker tied his career-high by grabbing six rebounds. He previously had six boards versus North Dakota State on Nov. 24, 2010.
• Sophomore center Elliott Eliason recorded a career-high three blocked shots.
• Junior forward Chris Halvorsen made his first career field goal, getting a layup late in the game and drawing a loud ovation from the fans. Halvorsen missed both field goals he attempted last season.
• Senior forward Andre Ingram tied his career high by dishing out an assist in a game for the sixth time.
• Sophomore forward Oto Osenieks made a career-best four field goals and tied his career-high with three assists. He finished with eight points.
• Senior guard Julian Welch finished with six points to go along with four rebounds and four assists.
Preview: Gophers vs. Clemson
The Gophers host the Clemson Tigers in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Monday night at Williams Arena.
Minnesota Holds off Nebraska-Omaha, 93-90
Joey King scored 18 points and Bakary Konate added 14 with 10 rebounds and Minnesota held off Nebraska-Omaha 93-90 on Friday.
Minnesota Falls Short to Texas Tech, 81-68
Carlos Morris and Joey King each scored 15 points to lead the Gophers (3-2).