Nov. 9, 2012
Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
Minnesota (1-0) 72, American (0-1) 36
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
November 9, 2012
• Tonight’s game was the first-ever meeting between the Gophers and American University.
• Minnesota opened the season against a member of the Patriot League for the third time during the Tubby Smith era. The Gophers defeated Army, 84-52, in Smith’s inaugural game at Minnesota, and opened last season with a 70-58 win versus Bucknell.
• The Gophers improved to 47-4 over their past 51 regular season home openers and extended their winning streak in such games to 24 in a row.
• Minnesota held an opponent under 40 points for the first time since a 59-36 win versus No. 19 Illinois on Jan. 29, 2009.
• The Gophers defeated an opponent by more than 30 points for the first time since an 88-53 win versus Iowa on March 7, 2010.
• Minnesota enjoyed advantages of 42-14 in points in the paint and 16-2 in fast break points.
• A total of 13 players appeared in the game for the Gophers, with 10 players scoring points.
• Minnesota made 27 field goals in the game, compared to just nine for the Eagles.
• The Gophers forced 22 turnovers and scored 25 points on those miscues.
• Minnesota had 15 steals in the game.
• Minnesota jumped out to a 15-0 lead, holding American scoreless until the 14:11 mark.
• The Gophers led by 30 points at the half, and held an opponent under 15 points in a half for the first time since limiting Purdue to 11 points in the first half of their Big Ten Tournament win on March 13, 2010.
• Tubby Smith is now 104-68 as the head coach at Minnesota and 491-213 for his career.
• Minnesota is now 67-23 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 44-14 at intermission is now 86-13 under Smith when leading at the half.
Individual Player Notes
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 15 points and three steals in the first half, and finished with career-highs of 20 points and five steals. Hollins’ previous bests in those categories had been 18 points at Indiana on January 12, 2012, and four steals at St. Joseph’s on Dec. 8, 2010.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe played in his first game since tearing the ACL in his right knee on November 27, 2012. Mbakwe finished with four points, three rebounds, two steals, and a pair of blocks.
• Mbakwe also displayed his ability to leap is still there, as he was on the receiving end of an alley-oop dunk late in the game.
• Sophomore forward Maurice Walker played in his first game since December 23, 2010. Walker made both of his field goal attempts, finishing with four points, two rebounds, one assist, and a blocked shot.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams had 16 points and five rebounds. It was the 38th career double-figure scoring game for Williams, which leads all current Gophers.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins dished out a career-best seven assists. His previous high had been six assists on two occasions, most recently versus Michigan on March 9, 2012.
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman had a career-high five steals. His previous best had been three steals on three occasions, most recently at Michigan State on Jan. 25, 2012.
Gophers Full Television Schedule Announced
Minnesota's full television schedule and game time information has been announced.
BTN Game Times Announced
The Big Ten Network announced its broadcast schedule, including game times, for the upcoming men's basketball season.
Pitino Blog: Back to School
Head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino checks in as the new school year is underway.