Feb. 19, 2014
MINNESOTA MEN’s BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
ILLINOIS (15-12, 4-10 Big Ten) 62, MINNESOTA (17-10, 6-8 Big Ten) 49
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS | FEBRUARY 19, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 12,221 (14,625 capacity)
• Tonight’s game was the 173rd meeting in the all-time series between Minnesota and Illinois. The Illini hold a 111-62 advantage in the series that dates back to Feb. 7, 1906. Tonight’s game is the lone regular season meeting between the schools in 2013-14.
• Illinois has won five of the past seven games, including three straight. The Illini posted a 57-53 victory at Williams Arena on Feb. 10, 2013, and then knocked the Gophers out of the 2013 Big Ten Tournament with a last-second 51-49 win.
• With tonight’s win, Illinois took a 43-42 lead in the 85 games played in Minneapolis. The Gophers fell to 4-3 in Big Ten home games this season.
• The Gophers held Illinois to 8-of-25 (.320) field goals in the first half, but the Illini made 6-of-9 attempts from beyond the arc.
• For the game, Minnesota was just 4-of-25 (.160) from three-point range, while Illinois made 8-of-13 (.615) attempts.
• Minnesota dropped to 7-3 when wearing its Gold uniforms this season.
• The Gophers, who entered the contest leading the Big Ten in steals per game (7.8 spg), finished with six steals.
• Junior guard Andre Hollins scored 15 points to increase his career total to 1,192 and move up to 23rd on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list. Hollins passed Darryl Mitchell (1978-82) and Randy Carter (1991-94).
• Andre Hollins made 3-of-10 three-pointers, giving him 174 for his career to pass Sam Jacobson (1995-98) for third on the Gophers’ all-time list.
• Andre Hollins also made four free throws, giving him 306 for his career. He’s now tied with Marc Wilson (1983-86) for eighth all-time at Minnesota.
• Senior guard Austin Hollins finished with 10 points to increase his career total to 1,153 points. Hollins passed Rodney Williams (2009-13) to move into 27th on the all-time scoring list.
• Austin Hollins also led the Gophers with seven rebounds in the game.
• Austin Hollins was credited with two assists to increase his career total to 268. He is tied with Osborne Lockhart (1975-78) for 11th all-time at Minnesota.
• Austin Hollins played in his 130th career game for the Gophers and is now tied for third with Sam Jacobson (1995-98). Hollins needs to play in just five more games to establish a new career record for games played at Minnesota.
• Junior forward Maurice Walker came off the bench to finish with 10 points on 5-of-7 field goals.
Gophers Add Vanderbilt Transfer Payton Willis
4/24/2018 - M. Basketball
Guard played two years with the Commodores, will have two years on the court with the Gophers.
B1G Hoops Opponents Announced for 2018-19
4/19/2018 - M. Basketball
The Minnesota men and women's basketball scheduling matchups were released on Thursday by the conference office.
Student Season Ticket Packages Unveiled
4/19/2018 - M. Basketball
University of Minnesota student season tickets for Gopher football, men's basketball, and men's hockey are on sale beginning Monday, April 23.