Feb. 8, 2014
MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
MINNESOTA (16-8, 5-6 Big Ten) 66, INDIANA (14-9, 4-6 Big Ten) 60
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS | SATURDAY, FEB. 8, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 14,625 (14,625 capacity)
SERIES / TEAM NOTES
• Minnesota and Indiana played the 155th game in the all-time series tonight, with the Gophers improving to 65-90 against the Hoosiers.
• The Gophers hold a 44-33 lead in games played in Minneapolis, including victories in the past two home games and five of the past six overall at Williams Arena.
• Tonight’s game was the lone regular season meeting between the schools this season.
• First-year head coach Richard Pitino’s father, Rick, was at Williams Arena for the second time this season. The Gophers are 2-0 in those games.
• Minnesota, which leads the Big Ten with an average of 8.3 steals per game, finished with seven steals and forced 16 Indiana turnovers.
• As a team, the Gophers rank second in the Big Ten in free throw percentage (.746), and they made 9-of-11 (.818) attempts tonight.
• The Gophers were outrebounded, 35-30, but improved to 3-4 this season when that happens.
• Minnesota snapped its three-game losing streak, its longest under Pitino.
• Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu led all scorers with 16 points, including 10 points in the second half. It’s Mathieu’s 15th double-figure scoring game this season, and he also dished out a game-high five assists.
• Junior forward Maurice Walker came off the bench to spark the Gophers with 14 points and a team-high eight rebounds in 26 minutes. Walker made 7-of-11 field goals, with the field goal figure establishing a new career-high and the attempts mark tying his career-high.
• Junior guard Andre Hollins scored 10 points to increase his career total to 1,147 and move past Rodney Williams (1,145) into 27th place on the all-time scoring list.
Gophers Add Springs for 2016-17 Season
University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of guard Akeem Springs, who will transfer from Milwaukee for the upcoming season.
Watch Raise the Barn: Looking Ahead
In the final episode of Raise the Barn, the prospects for 2016-17 are discussed.
Pitino Blog: April Update
Coach Pitino outlines his expectations for each of the returning and new Gophers for next season and more.