Feb. 3, 2013
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#23/24 Minnesota (17-5, 5-4 Big Ten) 62, Iowa (14-8, 3-6 Big Ten) 59
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
February 3, 2013
• This afternoon’s game marked the 179th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Hawkeyes (not counting vacated games), with Minnesota holding a 96-83 lead in the all-time series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 8-3 against Iowa.
• The Gophers improved to 58-32 all-time versus Iowa in games played in Minneapolis.
• The Golden Gophers snapped a two-game losing streak versus Iowa, and have won seven of the last nine contests versus Iowa.
• Minnesota won 26 of the first 30 meetings in the all-time series with the Hawkeyes.
• Minnesota improved to 714-754 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 65-69 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 120-73 as the head coach at Minnesota and 507-218 for his career.
• The Gophers scored the game’s final seven points to rally for the victory.
• Minnesota had zero points from its bench.
• The victory was Minnesota’s 14th straight at home versus unranked teams.
• Minnesota is now 78-24 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 29-28 at intermission and is now 16-1 this season and 101-14 overall under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers had five players with five or more rebounds, and four players reached double-figures for points.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins led all players with 17 points, including a three-pointer in the closing seconds to give Minnesota the lead. It’s the 13th double-figure scoring game for Hollins this season and the 37th of his career.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins had 15 points, six rebounds, and a career-high eight assists (one turnover). It was Hollins’ 15th double-digit scoring game this season (27th career).
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman made 6-of-7 field goals to finish with 12 points.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. had 10 points and a game-high seven rebounds. Williams increased his career points total to 1,077, moving past Mark Hall (1978-82) and John Shasky (1982-86) into 30th place on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe had eight points, six rebounds and a pair of blocked shots.
Murphy leads Minnesota to win over Clemson, 89-83
Jordan Murphy had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead Minnesota to an 89-83 victory over Clemson in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Monday night. Murphy hit 9 of 16 shots and Nate Mason...
Preview: Gophers vs. Clemson
The Gophers host the Clemson Tigers in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Monday night at Williams Arena.
Minnesota Holds off Nebraska-Omaha, 93-90
Joey King scored 18 points and Bakary Konate added 14 with 10 rebounds and Minnesota held off Nebraska-Omaha 93-90 on Friday.