Feb. 3, 2013
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#23/24 Minnesota (17-5, 5-4 Big Ten) 62, Iowa (14-8, 3-6 Big Ten) 59
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
February 3, 2013
• This afternoon’s game marked the 179th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Hawkeyes (not counting vacated games), with Minnesota holding a 96-83 lead in the all-time series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 8-3 against Iowa.
• The Gophers improved to 58-32 all-time versus Iowa in games played in Minneapolis.
• The Golden Gophers snapped a two-game losing streak versus Iowa, and have won seven of the last nine contests versus Iowa.
• Minnesota won 26 of the first 30 meetings in the all-time series with the Hawkeyes.
• Minnesota improved to 714-754 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 65-69 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 120-73 as the head coach at Minnesota and 507-218 for his career.
• The Gophers scored the game’s final seven points to rally for the victory.
• Minnesota had zero points from its bench.
• The victory was Minnesota’s 14th straight at home versus unranked teams.
• Minnesota is now 78-24 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 29-28 at intermission and is now 16-1 this season and 101-14 overall under Smith when leading at the half.
• The Gophers had five players with five or more rebounds, and four players reached double-figures for points.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins led all players with 17 points, including a three-pointer in the closing seconds to give Minnesota the lead. It’s the 13th double-figure scoring game for Hollins this season and the 37th of his career.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins had 15 points, six rebounds, and a career-high eight assists (one turnover). It was Hollins’ 15th double-digit scoring game this season (27th career).
• Sophomore guard Joe Coleman made 6-of-7 field goals to finish with 12 points.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. had 10 points and a game-high seven rebounds. Williams increased his career points total to 1,077, moving past Mark Hall (1978-82) and John Shasky (1982-86) into 30th place on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe had eight points, six rebounds and a pair of blocked shots.
Athletes Village Progress Report
Associate athletics director Scott Ellison gives an update on the Gophers' Athletes Village project, set to be completed during the winter of 2017-18.
Gophers Add Transfer Center Matz Stockman
Head coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward/center Matz Stockman, who will transfer to the Minnesota men’s basketball program.
Pitino Blog: Post-Season
Head coach Richard Pitino gives an update and state of the Gophers following a record-breaking 2016-17 season.