Feb. 1, 2014
MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
NORTHWESTERN (12-11, 5-5 Big Ten) 55, MINNESOTA (15-7, 4-5 Big Ten) 54
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS | SATURDAY, FEB. 1, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 12,744 (14,625 cap.)
• This afternoon’s game was the 156th in the all-time series, with Minnesota leading, 93-63. The loss for the Gophers was the second straight versus the Wildcats.
• The Gophers fell to 56-19 all-time at home versus Northwestern, and the loss snapped a six-game winning streak versus NU at The Barn. Northwestern’s last win in Minneapolis had been a 55-40 victory on Jan. 20, 2007.
• This was Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino’s first-ever game against Northwestern and first-year Wildcats head coach Chris Collins.
• Minnesota trailed at the half in Big Ten play for just the third time this season. The Gophers are 1-2 in those three games. Overall, Minnesota is 2-3 this season and 4-13 over the past two seasons when facing a halftime deficit.
• Minnesota, which leads the Big Ten in steals per game (8.2), came up with nine this afternoon.
• The Gophers were without junior guard Andre Hollins for the second consecutive game due to an ankle injury suffered against Wisconsin (Jan. 22).
• Minnesota made 23-of-50 (.460) field goals, but were just 3-of-14 (.214) from three-point range.
• Senior guard Austin Hollins scored 13 points to move past three former players and into 28th place on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list. Hollins now has 1,109 career points in 125 games. He moved past Voshon Lenard, George Kline and Osborne Lockhart during today’s game.
• Hollins led the Gophers with six rebounds and three steals, as well.
• Junior center Maurice Walker came off the bench to make 6-of-8 field goals and lead Minnesota with 14 points. He added four rebounds, two assists and two blocked shots.
• Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu finished with nine points and a team-high five assists.
Homecoming Tip-Off Draws Crowd
Minnesota's men's and women's basketball teams gave fans a season preview with an open scrimmage and autograph session.
For The M: Pitino Mic'd Up
Get the sights and sounds of a Gopher basketball practice in the latest episode.
Big Ten Media Day Recap
The Gophers were in D.C. on Thursday as part of Big Ten Basketball Media Day.