Feb. 1, 2014
MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
NORTHWESTERN (12-11, 5-5 Big Ten) 55, MINNESOTA (15-7, 4-5 Big Ten) 54
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS | SATURDAY, FEB. 1, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 12,744 (14,625 cap.)
• This afternoon’s game was the 156th in the all-time series, with Minnesota leading, 93-63. The loss for the Gophers was the second straight versus the Wildcats.
• The Gophers fell to 56-19 all-time at home versus Northwestern, and the loss snapped a six-game winning streak versus NU at The Barn. Northwestern’s last win in Minneapolis had been a 55-40 victory on Jan. 20, 2007.
• This was Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino’s first-ever game against Northwestern and first-year Wildcats head coach Chris Collins.
• Minnesota trailed at the half in Big Ten play for just the third time this season. The Gophers are 1-2 in those three games. Overall, Minnesota is 2-3 this season and 4-13 over the past two seasons when facing a halftime deficit.
• Minnesota, which leads the Big Ten in steals per game (8.2), came up with nine this afternoon.
• The Gophers were without junior guard Andre Hollins for the second consecutive game due to an ankle injury suffered against Wisconsin (Jan. 22).
• Minnesota made 23-of-50 (.460) field goals, but were just 3-of-14 (.214) from three-point range.
• Senior guard Austin Hollins scored 13 points to move past three former players and into 28th place on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list. Hollins now has 1,109 career points in 125 games. He moved past Voshon Lenard, George Kline and Osborne Lockhart during today’s game.
• Hollins led the Gophers with six rebounds and three steals, as well.
• Junior center Maurice Walker came off the bench to make 6-of-8 field goals and lead Minnesota with 14 points. He added four rebounds, two assists and two blocked shots.
• Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu finished with nine points and a team-high five assists.
Gophers to Travel to Florida State
Minnesota will face the Seminoles on Monday, November 28 in Tallahassee at the Tucker Center.
Senior Spotlight: Joey King
Forward Joey King discusses his plans for the future and looking back on his time as a Gopher.
Gophers Reflect on Mother's Day
Heading into Mother’s Day, GopherSports.com caught up with several men’s basketball players to ask them about the influence their mom has had on their career, life and more.