Jan. 29, 2013
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#23/24 Minnesota (16-5, 4-4 Big Ten) 84, Nebraska (11-11, 2-7 Big Ten) 65
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
January 29, 2013
• This evening’s game marked the 62nd meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Huskers, with Minnesota holding a 49-13 lead in the all-time series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 3-0 against the Huskers.
• The Gophers improved to 34-7 all-time versus Nebraska in games played in Minneapolis.
• The Golden Gophers have won four straight and nine of the last 13 contests versus Nebraska.
• Minnesota won 18 of the first 20 meetings in the all-time series with the Cornhuskers.
• Minnesota improved to 713-754 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 64-69 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 119-73 as the head coach at Minnesota and 506-218 for his career.
• Minnesota held a 36-19 advantage in rebounding, and improved to 14-3 this season when it out-rebounds its opponents.
• Minnesota is now 77-24 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 44-35 at intermission and is now 15-1 this season and 100-14 overall under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. just missed his career-high for points in a game, finishing with 23 points to lead the Gophers. Williams’ career-best is
• Williams increased his career total to 1,067 points, passing Eric Hill (1,057 points during 1968-71) for 32nd on Minnesota’s all-time list. John Shasky (1982-86) and Mark Hall (1978-82) are tied for 30th on the list with 1,072 points.
• It was the sixth 20-point game of Williams’ career, and was his 52nd career double-figure scoring game (15th this season).
• Junior guard Maverick Ahanmisi came off the bench to score nine points, and tied his career-high with four made field goals.
• Sophomore forward Elliott Eliason grabbed five rebounds against his home-state team. Eliason is from Chadron, Neb., and was a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year in that state.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored 14 points for his 14th double-figure scoring game this season and the 26th of his career.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 13 points to go along with team-high totals of five assists and three steals.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe grabbed a team-high eight rebounds, while dishing out three assists and blocking a pair of shots.
Gophers Mourn Passing of John Kundla
The University of Minnesota joins with the basketball community and his family in mourning the loss of former Gophers player and coach John Kundla.
Gophers Take Tour of Athletes Village
Dupree McBrayer is mic'd up as his Gopher teammates take a tour of the new Athletes Village.
Meet the Newcomers: Hunt Conroy
Gophersports.com is introducing you to the Gopher basketball freshmen. Get to know Hunt Conroy.