Jan. 29, 2013
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#23/24 Minnesota (16-5, 4-4 Big Ten) 84, Nebraska (11-11, 2-7 Big Ten) 65
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
January 29, 2013
• This evening’s game marked the 62nd meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Huskers, with Minnesota holding a 49-13 lead in the all-time series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith improved to 3-0 against the Huskers.
• The Gophers improved to 34-7 all-time versus Nebraska in games played in Minneapolis.
• The Golden Gophers have won four straight and nine of the last 13 contests versus Nebraska.
• Minnesota won 18 of the first 20 meetings in the all-time series with the Cornhuskers.
• Minnesota improved to 713-754 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 64-69 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 119-73 as the head coach at Minnesota and 506-218 for his career.
• Minnesota held a 36-19 advantage in rebounding, and improved to 14-3 this season when it out-rebounds its opponents.
• Minnesota is now 77-24 at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota led 44-35 at intermission and is now 15-1 this season and 100-14 overall under Smith when leading at the half.
• Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. just missed his career-high for points in a game, finishing with 23 points to lead the Gophers. Williams’ career-best is
• Williams increased his career total to 1,067 points, passing Eric Hill (1,057 points during 1968-71) for 32nd on Minnesota’s all-time list. John Shasky (1982-86) and Mark Hall (1978-82) are tied for 30th on the list with 1,072 points.
• It was the sixth 20-point game of Williams’ career, and was his 52nd career double-figure scoring game (15th this season).
• Junior guard Maverick Ahanmisi came off the bench to score nine points, and tied his career-high with four made field goals.
• Sophomore forward Elliott Eliason grabbed five rebounds against his home-state team. Eliason is from Chadron, Neb., and was a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year in that state.
• Sophomore guard Andre Hollins scored 14 points for his 14th double-figure scoring game this season and the 26th of his career.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins had 13 points to go along with team-high totals of five assists and three steals.
• Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe grabbed a team-high eight rebounds, while dishing out three assists and blocking a pair of shots.
Preview: Gophers vs. Michigan
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team welcomes Michigan to the Barn on Wednesday evening.
Minnesota Falls to Northwestern 82-58
Jordan Murphy scored 14 points and Nate Mason finished with eight for Minnesota.
Minnesota Falls to No. 19 Indiana, 74-68
The Golden Gophers took a 67-66 lead with 3:54 to go, but Indiana finished the game on an 8-1 run to seal the win.