Jan. 17, 2013
Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
#5/5 Michigan (17-1, 4-1) 83, #9/12 Minnesota (15-3, 3-2 Big Ten) 75
Williams Arena • Minneapolis, Minn.
January 17, 2013
• This evening’s game marked the 140th meeting on the hardwood between the Gophers and Wolverines, with Michigan holding an 81-59 lead in the all-time series.
• Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith fell to 3-8 against the Wolverines.
• The Gophers fell to 38-29 all-time versus Michigan in games played in Minneapolis.
• The Golden Gophers have won just one of the past eight contests versus Michigan.
• Minnesota fell to 712-752 all-time versus current members of the Big Ten Conference.
• Smith owns a mark of 63-67 all-time versus B1G members.
• Tubby Smith is now 118-71 as the head coach at Minnesota and 505-216 for his career.
• Minnesota held a 33-25 advantage in rebounding, but dropped to 13-2 this season when it out-rebounds its opponents.
•Minnesota made 8-of-16 three-pointers, but Michigan also shot 50 percent by making 10-of-20 treys.
•The Gophers struggled at the free throw line in the second half, making just 14-of-23 (.609) attempts. For the game, Minnesota was 17-of-27 (.630) at the charity stripe.
• Minnesota is now 76-24 in 100 games at Williams Arena with Smith on the bench.
• Minnesota trailed 36-30 at intermission and is now 18-58 under Smith when leading at the half.
• Junior guard Austin Hollins scored a career-high 21 points, making 7-of-12 field goals, including 4-of-7 three-pointers. It was the second 20-point game this season for Hollins, who scored 20 points in the season-opening win versus American.
•Austin Hollins added a season-high six rebounds for the third time this season, while also coming up with four steals and dishing out three assists.
•Senior forward Trevor Mbakwe recorded his sixth double-double of the season (29th of his career) with 13 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. He also tied his career-high with five blocked shots.
•Sophomore guard Andre Hollins finished with 13 points and four assists, but missed the majority of the first half after picking up two early fouls. It was Hollins’ 12th game in double-digits this season (24th career).
•Senior forward Rodney Williams Jr. reached double figures with 11 points. It’s his 14th double-figure scoring game this season and the 51st of his career.
•Williams now has 1,035 career points and is 33rd on Minnesota’s all-time scoring list. Eric Hill (1968-71) ranks 32nd with 1,057 career points.
•Senior guard Julian Welch came off the bench to score eight points in the first half, including two three-pointers that helped to keep the Gophers within six points at the break.
Mason Named to Cousy Award Watch List
Nate Mason has been selected among the top collegiate point guards heading into the 2017-18 season.
Barclays Center Classic Tickets On Sale Friday
Fans can secure their seats for the two-game Barclays Center Classic next month in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Big Ten Super Saturday Tickets on Sale This Week
The Gopher men's basketball and men's hockey programs will compete at legendary Madison Square Garden.