Jan. 5, 2014
MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
MINNESOTA (12-3, 1-1 Big Ten) 82, PURDUE (10-5, 0-2 Big Ten) 79
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS
SUNDAY, JAN. 5, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 11,851 (14,625 cap.)
● This afternoon’s game was the 165th in the all-time series, with Purdue leading, 89-76. The victory for Minnesota snapped a three-game losing streak versus the Boilers
● The Gophers improved to 50-30 all-time at home versus the Boilermakers.
● This was Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino’s first-ever game against Purdue.
● Minnesota held a 42-34 halftime lead and improved to 28-4 the past two seasons, including 10-2 this season, when leading at the half.
● The 42 points at the half for the Gophers were the most against a Big Ten opponent since having 44 first-half points against Illinois on Feb. 10, 2013.
● Minnesota didn’t play Purdue in Minneapolis last season. It was the first game against Purdue at Williams Arena since a 79-66 loss on Jan. 8, 2012.
● Today’s game ended a seven-game homestand for the Gophers, who went 6-1 during that stretch.
● Minnesota tied its season-high with 11 three-pointers. The Gophers also made 11 treys versus Montana on Nov. 12.
● Junior Andre Hollins finished with 17 points to reach double figures for the 12th time this season and for the 50th time in 86 career games. He also led the Gophers with five assists.
● Andre Hollins made 9-of-11 free throws, all in the first half, and his first nine points in today’s game were from the line.
● Senior guard Austin Hollins tied for game-high honors with 18 points, making 4-of-8 three-pointers, and led all players with nine rebounds.
● Senior guard Malik Smith finished with 11 points, including four free throws in the closing minutes to help seal the victory.
● Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu was perfect from the field, making 4-of-4 field goals, including a three pointer, and 2-of-2 free throws for 11 points to go with four assists.
Preview: Gophers vs. Ohio State
1/19/2018 - M. Basketball
Minnesota heads to Madison Square Garden Saturday for a matchup with the conference-leading Buckeyes.
Minnesota Downed by Maryland, 77-66
1/18/2018 - M. Basketball
Kevin Huerter scored 19 points, Anthony Cowan Jr. had a career-high 10 assists and Maryland used a strong second half to beat cold-shooting Minnesota 77-66 Thursday night.
Minnesota Gets B1G Road Win Over Penn State, 95-84
1/15/2018 - M. Basketball
Dupree McBrayer scored 14 of a career-high 24 points in the second half and overtime and Minnesota beat Penn State 95-84 on Monday night.