Jan. 2, 2014
MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
MICHIGAN (9-4, 1-0 Big Ten) 63, MINNESOTA (11-3, 0-1 Big Ten) 60
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS
THURDSAY, JAN. 2, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 12,225 (14,625 cap.)
● Tonight's game was the 141st in the all-time series, with Michigan leading, 82-59, and having won the past five meetings.
● The Gophers fell to 38-30 all-time at home versus the Wolverines.
● This was Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino's first-ever game against Michigan.
● Minnesota fell to 11-17 in B1G openers since the 1980-81 season (not counting vacated years)
● It marked the 15th time that Minnesota opened Big Ten play against the Wolverines.
● The loss was the Gophers' fifth-straight in Minneapolis against Michigan.
● Minnesota had its six-game winning streak snapped.
● The Gophers, who entered the game leading the Big Ten with 8.8 steals per game, finished with nine steals in the loss. It's the tenth game this season with eight or more steals in a game for Minnesota.
● Minnesota came into the contest with a B1G-leading free throw percentage (.760), but connected on just 13-of-19 (.684) attempts versus the Wolverines.
● Junior center Elliott Eliason recorded his fourth double-double of the season (fourth career) with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
● Junior guard Andre Hollins reached double-figure scoring for the 11th time this season and the 49th time in his career, finishing with 12 points. He added five rebounds and three assists.
● Senior guard Malik Smith tied for team-high honors with 12 points, marking his sixth game in double-figures this season.
● Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu finished with nine points and four assists, while tying his career-high with six rebounds.
2016-17 Men’s Basketball Schedule Announced
The Gophers 2016-17 schedule was unveiled Thursday in conjunction with the Big Ten Conference schedule announcement.
Gophers on BTN Four Times in Non-Conference Play
The University of Minnesota men’s basketball team will play four games during non-conference competition that will be broadcast live on the Big Ten Network.
King Signs Professional Contract in Finland
Joey King has signed a professional contract with Joensuun Kataja in Finland for the upcoming season.