Jan. 2, 2014
MEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
MICHIGAN (9-4, 1-0 Big Ten) 63, MINNESOTA (11-3, 0-1 Big Ten) 60
WILLIAMS ARENA | MINNEAPOLIS
THURDSAY, JAN. 2, 2014
ATTENDANCE: 12,225 (14,625 cap.)
● Tonight's game was the 141st in the all-time series, with Michigan leading, 82-59, and having won the past five meetings.
● The Gophers fell to 38-30 all-time at home versus the Wolverines.
● This was Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino's first-ever game against Michigan.
● Minnesota fell to 11-17 in B1G openers since the 1980-81 season (not counting vacated years)
● It marked the 15th time that Minnesota opened Big Ten play against the Wolverines.
● The loss was the Gophers' fifth-straight in Minneapolis against Michigan.
● Minnesota had its six-game winning streak snapped.
● The Gophers, who entered the game leading the Big Ten with 8.8 steals per game, finished with nine steals in the loss. It's the tenth game this season with eight or more steals in a game for Minnesota.
● Minnesota came into the contest with a B1G-leading free throw percentage (.760), but connected on just 13-of-19 (.684) attempts versus the Wolverines.
● Junior center Elliott Eliason recorded his fourth double-double of the season (fourth career) with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
● Junior guard Andre Hollins reached double-figure scoring for the 11th time this season and the 49th time in his career, finishing with 12 points. He added five rebounds and three assists.
● Senior guard Malik Smith tied for team-high honors with 12 points, marking his sixth game in double-figures this season.
● Junior guard DeAndre Mathieu finished with nine points and four assists, while tying his career-high with six rebounds.
Gophers Full Television Schedule Announced
Minnesota's full television schedule and game time information has been announced.
BTN Game Times Announced
The Big Ten Network announced its broadcast schedule, including game times, for the upcoming men's basketball season.
Pitino Blog: Back to School
Head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino checks in as the new school year is underway.