|Minnesota (22-16, 9-9 B1G) at Florida State (33-11, 17-7 ACC)|
|Game 1 Probable Pitchers||RHP Alec Crawford (4-1) vs. RHP Luke Weaver (6-3)|
|Game 2 Probable Pitchers
||RHP Ben Meyer (4-2) vs. RHP Mike Compton (4-1)|
|Sunday Probable Pitchers||RHP Neal Kunik (2-0) vs. TBA|
|Location||Tallahassee, Fla. | Dick Howser Stadium|
|Game Day Live||Saturday 1 | Saturday 2 | Sunday|
|Social Media||@GopherBaseball | Facebook|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Florida State|
May 1, 2014
• The Gophers moved back to .500 in conference play with a sweep of Penn State at Siebert Field. It was Minnesota’s first conference sweep of the season.
• Minnesota’s pitching staff only gave up one run over the weekend, winning 2-1, 4-0 and 12-0. Alec Crawford struck out nine batters in 8.0 innings, Ben Meyer struck out eight in 8.0 scoreless and Neal Kunik struck out nine in 7.0 scoreless. The Gophers struck out 33 batters in all. Kunik gave up just three hits and was named Big Ten Co-Pitcher of the Week.
• In Friday’s game, the first night game at new Siebert Field, Austin Athmann hit his first home run, and Mark Tatera drove in Dan Olinger with a sacrifice fly for the go-ahead run.
• Connor Schaefbauer hit a three-run double in the second inning of Saturday afternoon’s 4-0 win.
• The Gophers scored seven runs in the first inning of the Saturday nightcap. Dan Olinger, Michael Handel and Bobby Juan each had three hits, including a home run by Juan. Minnesota tied its season high with 19 hits in the game.
• Minnesota last faced Florida State to start the 2006 season. The No. 6 Seminoles won all three games in Tallahassee.
• Before Saturday’s doubleheader sweep, the Gophers’ last back-to-back shutout wins came against the Citadel in March 2012.
• Florida State is the first of two ranked teams Minnesota will face in the final three weeks of the regular season. The Gophers close out Big Ten play at Indiana May 15-17.
ABOUT THE SEMINOLES
• Florida State lost 5-3 (10), won 7-0 and lost 4-3 against Virginia in a battle between top-10 teams last weekend.
• DJ Stewart leads the Seminoles with a .362 batting average and seven home runs.
• Projected Friday starter Luke Weaver has a 6-3 record and 2.92 ERA. Saturday’s expected starter, Mike Compton, has a 3.27 ERA and 4-1 record.
• The Seminoles are currently ranked in the top 10 of all major polls. They are in first place in the ACC’s Atlantic Division.
STARTERS IN THE BIG TEN RANKINGS
Ben Meyer and Alec Crawford are tied for sixth in the Big Ten in innings pitched (70.2). Crawford is tied for third in strikeouts (52) and Meyer is sixth (50). Meyer is fifth in ERA (2.42) and eighth in opposing average (.234). In Big Ten play, Crawford is first in strikeouts (33) and innings pitched (43.1), while Meyer is second in strikeouts (29) and innings pitched (41.2). Meyer also has the most looking strikeouts (18) in Big Ten play. Neal Kunik is fifth in ERA (1.74) in conference play.
FROM TRYOUTS TO ROTATION
Neal Kunik made the Minnesota roster this fall after his third walk-on tryout attempt. He pitched out of the bullpen until the Gophers’ series at Iowa. In his first two starts, Kunik pitched 13 shutout innings and struck out 11 while allowing just six hits.
CLOSING THE DOOR
Dalton Sawyer has notched a team-high six saves. Brian Glowicki has three and Kevin Kray has two overall. Lance Thonvold earned the Gophers’ one other save. Saywer holds a 2.27 ERA in a team-high 31 2/3 relief innings, and is tied for the lead with four saves in Big Ten play.
Gophers to Visit Minnesota State Fair
Golden Gopher teams and coaches are scheduled to appear at the 2016 Minnesota State Fair Aug. 29-31.
Summer League Wrap Up
While the minor league season is still in process the collegiate summer leagues have com to an end.
Glowicki Named Postseason All-Star
Gophers Brian Glowicki was named to the Northwoods League Postseason All-Star Team.