|Minnesota (19-16) vs. Hamline (11-12)|
Wed., April 23 - 4:05 p.m.
|Location||Minneapolis, Minn. | Siebert Field|
|Game Day Live||Blog and GameTracker|
|Social Media||@GopherBaseball | Facebook|
April 23, 2014
The University of Minnesota baseball team welcomes Hamline to Siebert Field for a makeup game. The non-conference tilt, originally scheduled for last week, was rescheduled for 4:05 p.m. Wednesday to allow the Pipers to make up conference games last week.
• The Gophers won their series opener at Iowa, but the Hawkeyes came from behind in each of the next two to win.
• Michael Handel earned Big Ten Player of the Week Honors after hitting 4-for-8 against North Dakota State and Iowa. He drove in six runs, scored two and hit a home run and four doubles. He hit three doubles in the Saturday game against the Hawkeyes.
• Handel’s two-run homer was part of a three-run sixth that gave Minnesota a 3-1 lead on Friday. The Hawkeyes tied it in the seventh, but Minnesota scored on an outfield error in the ninth to win 4-3.
• The Gophers went up 5-0 in 1 1/2 innings, with Handel driving in three runs, but Iowa scored 11 unanswered runs to win.
• The Gophers had a 3-0 lead, but Iowa scored six runs in the seventh. Minnesota rallied in the ninth but lost 7-6. Dan Motl hit 3-for-4 and Mark Tatera hit a home run.
The Gophers have 74 extra-base hits this season: 60 doubles, six triples and eight home runs. Category leaders are Tony Skjefte in doubles (11), Connor Schaefbauer in triples (three) and Michael Handel in home runs (three). Handel has 13 extra-base hits overall, including five last week, and Skjefte has 12.
COMING UP NEXT
This Friday, the Gophers will welcome a new era at new Siebert Field with their first night game at the facility. Minnesota hosts a three-game series against Penn State, beginning with a 6:35 p.m. contest on Friday. Their last outdoor home game under the lights was the final game at old Siebert Field in 2012. Find ticket information here for the Gophers' remaining home games.
Maroon Wins Game Three, Gold Wins Series
The Maroon team defeated the Gold team 4-3 in the final game of the Steak ‘N Beans series at Siebert Field. The Gold team claimed the 2016 Steak ‘N Beans title, winning the...
Gold Team Takes 2-0 Lead In Steak 'N Beans
The Gold team defeated the Maroon team 2-1 Friday night to take a 2-0 lead in the best out of three games Steak ‘N Beans series at Siebert Field.
Gold Takes Game One
In the first game of the Steak ‘N Beans series, the Gold team came away with an 8-3 win over the Maroon squad.