|Minnesota (19-16) vs. Hamline (11-12)|
Wed., April 23 - 4:05 p.m.
|Location||Minneapolis, Minn. | Siebert Field|
|Game Day Live||Blog and GameTracker|
|Social Media||@GopherBaseball | Facebook|
April 23, 2014
The University of Minnesota baseball team welcomes Hamline to Siebert Field for a makeup game. The non-conference tilt, originally scheduled for last week, was rescheduled for 4:05 p.m. Wednesday to allow the Pipers to make up conference games last week.
• The Gophers won their series opener at Iowa, but the Hawkeyes came from behind in each of the next two to win.
• Michael Handel earned Big Ten Player of the Week Honors after hitting 4-for-8 against North Dakota State and Iowa. He drove in six runs, scored two and hit a home run and four doubles. He hit three doubles in the Saturday game against the Hawkeyes.
• Handel’s two-run homer was part of a three-run sixth that gave Minnesota a 3-1 lead on Friday. The Hawkeyes tied it in the seventh, but Minnesota scored on an outfield error in the ninth to win 4-3.
• The Gophers went up 5-0 in 1 1/2 innings, with Handel driving in three runs, but Iowa scored 11 unanswered runs to win.
• The Gophers had a 3-0 lead, but Iowa scored six runs in the seventh. Minnesota rallied in the ninth but lost 7-6. Dan Motl hit 3-for-4 and Mark Tatera hit a home run.
The Gophers have 74 extra-base hits this season: 60 doubles, six triples and eight home runs. Category leaders are Tony Skjefte in doubles (11), Connor Schaefbauer in triples (three) and Michael Handel in home runs (three). Handel has 13 extra-base hits overall, including five last week, and Skjefte has 12.
COMING UP NEXT
This Friday, the Gophers will welcome a new era at new Siebert Field with their first night game at the facility. Minnesota hosts a three-game series against Penn State, beginning with a 6:35 p.m. contest on Friday. Their last outdoor home game under the lights was the final game at old Siebert Field in 2012. Find ticket information here for the Gophers' remaining home games.
Preview: Seattle University at Minnesota
The reigning Big Ten regular season champions will make their U.S. Bank Stadium debut tomorrow when they host the Seattle University Redhawks at 6:30 p.m.
U.S. Bank Stadium Info
The University of Minnesota will begin their 13-game homestand at U.S. Bank Stadium Friday at 6:30 p.m. as they host Seattle University.
Gophers Split In Irvine
The University of Minnesota split their two-game series versus UC Irvine after falling 7-5 Sunday afternoon.