Sept. 19, 2017
By Mark Coyle
Every Big Ten athletics department is a complicated organization. That may go without saying, but the level of complexity can be surprising, even to those who follow closely every single day.
Running our Big Ten athletics department here at Minnesota requires careful attention be paid to:
- The well-being of more than 700 student-athletes, nearly 300 full-time staff, and an army of volunteer and part-time staff
- A fanbase that stretches throughout the state of Minnesota and around the world, with a living alumni base of more than 570,000
- A budget of approximately $114 million this fiscal year
- Critical revenue streams to balance that budget, such as ticket sales, fundraising, licensing, sponsorships and more
- Maintenance of athletics facilities and addressing facilities needs
- Current events and trends, both inside college athletics and the world beyond
- Relationships with campus and community partners
- A thick collection of rules and policies from the University, the state of Minnesota, the Big Ten and the NCAA, a collection that is always evolving
- And last, but certainly not least, a vision and planning for the future
We are launching this new administrative blog, Inside Gopher Athletics, as a way to welcome everyone inside this unique, complex and wonderful world of Big Ten athletics here in the heart of Gold Country.
We want to share how our department runs and provide our perspective on the things everyone sees, hears and reads, as well as the things few people notice.
While I will be the main contributor to this blog, I'm excited to also welcome the expert voices of our department's administrative team to talk about our finances, our policies, and our reactions to news items, current events and NCAA legislation.
I hope we are able to provide information here that Gopher fans will find interesting and helpful. There are things we already know we want to or have to share here, and we will do that over the coming weeks and months. If there are items you want to know more about, you can submit those to firstname.lastname@example.org. Again, the goal is to provide accurate information to Gopher fans. If there is something you want to know, I'd like to be able to share it with you.
Check back here regularly throughout the coming year for new posts. Our goal is to provide several items each month.
Until next time, thank you for your loyal support, Ski U Mah, and go Gophers!
Lockard Earns Bid for NCAA Championships
5/27/2018 - M. Track & Field
A two-time All-American in the indoor high jump, Lockard punched his ticket to the NCAA championships with a fifth-place showing at Hornet Stadium on Saturday.
Gophers to Send 14 to NCAA Championship
5/27/2018 - W. Track & Field
No. 11 Minnesota wrapped up the NCAA West Prelim with four more qualifications for the national meet on Saturday.
Gophers Pull Away Against Buckeye Bullpen
5/26/2018 - Baseball
Minnesota advanced to the Big Ten Tournament Championship by defeating Ohio State 8-1.