It was a tough week in the NFL for former Gopher players.
Marion Barber, running back for the Chicago Bears, had 11 carries for 33 yards against the Seattle Seahawks. But the Bears never made it near the goal-line, which is where Barber almost always gets his hands on the ball.
Barber's teammate and tight end Matt Spaeth was active but did not record any statistics for Chicago. Despite leading at the half, the Bears fell to Seattle 38-14. It was the team's fourth straight loss, and with a 7-7 record and only two games remaining, they are likely to miss the playoffs.
The Denver Broncos faced the New England Patriots in the game of the week. Former Gopher wide receiver Eric Decker and the Broncos went into the game with a six game winning streak.
Decker was targeted only twice in the game and finished with one reception for 22 yards. The Broncos were unable to create another fourth quarter comeback and lost to the Patriots 41-23. But with Oakland also losing, Denver remains at the top of the AFC West.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League:
- Vikings' cornerback and return specialist Marcus Sherels recorded five tackles (four solo, one assisted) in Minnesota's 42-20 loss to the New Orleans Saints.
- Nate Triplett, linebacker for the San Diego Chargers, was active but did not record any statistics in San Diego's 34-14 victory over the Baltimore Ravens Sunday night. The win moves the Chargers to a 7-7 record and keeps their playoff hopes alive.
- Dominique Barber, safety for the Houston Texans, is on injured reserve with a knee injury. Houston fell to the Carolina Panthers 28-13.
- New York Jets' wide receiver Logan Payne is on injured reserve as well as he recovers from wrist surgery. The Jets lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 45-19.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, four former Gopher players spent week 15 of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is on the practice squad for the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber is with the Denver Broncos. Also, fullback Jon Hoese was signed to the Green Bay Packers' practice squad last week.