Former Gopher Nate Triplett signed a two-year contract with the San Diego Chargers. The linebacker was added to the team's active roster last week.
Triplett was originally drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. In October of last year he signed with the Chargers' practice squad. He spent seven weeks on San Diego's practice team.
The Indianapolis Colts signed the rookie free agent to their active roster last December. Triplett played on special teams in the Colt's final five games of the 2010-11 season as well as during the team's two playoff games. He played in three games for the Colts earlier this season.
Triplett's new team, the Chargers, beat the Bills on Sunday 37-10 to keep their playoff hopes alive. They moved to a 6-7 record, two games behind the division-leading Broncos.
Here's a look at the performance of other Gophers in the National Football League:
- Eric Decker, wide receiver for the Denver Broncos, recorded three receptions for 33 yards. The Broncos once again rallied late to defeat the Bears in overtime 13-10.
- Chicago Bears' running back Marion Barber recorded 27 carries for 108 yards and one touchdown. He also had two receptions for 32 yards in the Bears' loss to Denver.
- Matt Spaeth, tight end for the Bears, was active but did not record any statistics in the overtime loss.
- Vikings' cornerback and return specialist Marcus Sherels recorded four tackles (two solo, two assisted) in Sunday's close game against Detroit. He returned two punts for 22 yards in addition to one kickoff return for 16 yards. The Lions were able to hold on and beat the Vikings 34-28.
- Safety Dominique Barber is on the Houston Texans' injured reserve list with a knee injury. The Texans beat the Bengals 20-19 and clinched a playoff spot for the first time in team history.
- Logan Payne, wide receiver for the New York Jets, is also on injured reserve while he recovers from wrist surgery. The Jets beat the Kansan City Chiefs 37-10.
- Adam Weber, last year's quarterback for the Gophers, is expected to be signed off the Broncos' practice squad to take the roster slot of Kyle Orton who was waived by the team last week.
- In addition to those who were on active rosters, three former Gopher players spent week 14 of the NFL season on the practice squad for their respective teams. Offensive lineman Dominic Alford is on the practice squad for the Cleveland Browns, cornerback Traye Simmons is with the San Diego Chargers, and last year's quarterback Adam Weber is with the Denver Broncos.